7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2010 1:52 PM by user3934567

Multiple currency load into HFM using single FDM location

user3934567
      All,

I've a data file consists of data in multiple currencies. I need to load it into HFM from single location in FDM. But in FDM location, it displays the currency to be selected (in General tab), does that currency selection actually limit to the dataload into HFM in that currency only? If it's true then can we state that "One location in FDM is bound to only single currency dataload"?

If the consolidation checkbox in FDM (in Validation Entities) is checked, does that take care of the currency translation and consolidation in HFM after the data load (In the export step)? Or do we have to go to HFM and do that manually?

Thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: Multiple currency load into HFM using single FDM location
          TonyScalese
          Regardless of the data load method, HFM data can only be input into <Entity currency> which is the local currency assigned to the entity in HFM metadata. Given that, FDM will not load to "multiple" currencies for a single entity.

The currency setting in FDM does nothing other than display for reporting purposes.

The consolidation check box will run a calculation/consolidation for the entity in the validation entity. It will translate to the value dimension member set in the integration settings.
          • 2. Re: Multiple currency load into HFM using single FDM location
            user3934567
            Thank you.

What I meant by multiple currency is, my data file contains data for multiple entities each having different currency. In this case, can I load this data file from a single FDM location by selecting the currency drop down with any single currency? In other words, will FDM allow me to load multiple currency data from a single FDM location into multiple entities?

I appreciate your quick response!
            • 3. Re: Multiple currency load into HFM using single FDM location
              TonyScalese
              If you take another look at my above posting, you will see that FDM loads to the <entity currency> member of the value dimension.

The currency tag in FDM has nothing to do with the data being loaded.

My explanation of entity currency in my previous post and this information gives you your answer.
              • 4. Re: Multiple currency load into HFM using single FDM location
                user3934567
                Hi Tony,
                I think I was not clear enough in my earlier post. Sorry about that. I didn't mention about multiple currency for single entity. I understand your point "Given that, FDM will not load to "multiple" currencies for a single entity", but that was not my question.
                Let's say, I've the below data file containing only 3 data rows. The first row gives USD value as entity 1001 is USD entity, but the second row has CAD value as entity 1002 is Canadian entity. The third row has UK value as entity 1003 is UK entity. My question was, can I load the below file into HFM using a single location in FDM? Or do I have to create 3 separate locations in FDM to load the below data file? Please note, one entity can have only one currency.

Year,Period,Entity,Account,Value
                2010,August,1001,400010,145.65
                2010,August,1002,400010,35.05
                2010,August,1003,400010,10.05

Here is the hierarchy in HFM, I created the location in FDM based on the "GSLUSD" node

GSLUSD (USD)
                ---1001 (USD)
                ---1002USD (USD) -> Currency Translation happens here
                ---1002 (CAD)
                ---1003USD (USD) -> Currency Translation happens here
                ---1003 (UK)
                • 5. Re: Multiple currency load into HFM using single FDM location
                  WPaffhausen
                  Hello,

You should be able to use one FDM location to do what you want.... presumed that you have your HFM entities setup correctly with the appropriate Currency.
                  Then, when you load the information from FDM into HFM ... and leave FDM to let it default to <Entity Currency> the translation/calculation and consolidation features of HFM should accomidate for that. Provided that you have loaded the translation currencies as well previously so it knows how to do the translation/calculation.

Thank you,
                  • 6. Re: Multiple currency load into HFM using single FDM location
                    TonyScalese
                    This is the age old expression, give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach him to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

I'm trying to teach you here rather than jsut give you an answer. FDM loads to the entity currency value dimension member which represents the local currency assigned to the entity (in HFM metadata).

If the data file has multiple records and each is in the local currency of the entity, then yes you can load that all through 1 location.

Ignore the currency in the FDM location settings, it has no bearing on this question.

Make sense?