6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2010 8:03 AM by 807574 RSS

perplexed about outlook connector and caldav compatibility

I have read that the only way to use Outlook against the calendar server is to use the old 6.3 calserver. wcap.

I cant find anywhere if there is a way for outlook to use caldav or not? I would like to only use calendar server 7 and not have to install 6.3 as well just for outlook users.

Is there support for outlook to use calendar 7 in anyway?

Regards
        • 1. Re: perplexed about outlook connector and caldav compatibility
          Q:
          When would I choose to deploy Calendar Server 6.3 over Calendar Server 7?
          A:
          Although Calendar Server 7 is based on an open standard, it is not yet as mature as Calendar Server 6.3. If the primary goal of the deployment is to achieve interoperability with other CalDAV compliant solutions and clients such as Apple iCal and Apple iPhone, then Calendar Server 7 should be deployed. If the goal is to have a calendar server that supports all the components of the Sun Java Communications Suite such as Convergence, Outlook Connector, Mobile Communications, Communications Sync, and Communications Express, then Calendar 6.3 should be deployed. In other words, if you only plan to use the clients supplied by Java Communications Suite, Calendar Server 6.3 would be the right choice for you.

Note that although Calendar Server 7 does not currently support the Outlook Connector or Convergence, support for these components is coming shortly. When this occurs, we see no reason to deploy Calendar Server 6.3 over Calendar Server 7, since Calendar Server 7 will surpass Calendar Server 6.3 in both functionality and scalability.

:(
          • 2. Re: perplexed about outlook connector and caldav compatibility
            jmoadm wrote:
            I have read that the only way to use Outlook against the calendar server is to use the old 6.3 calserver. wcap.
            Correct. This is also true for UWC/CE. Convergence 2 supports Calendar Server 7 update 1.
            I cant find anywhere if there is a way for outlook to use caldav or not? I would like to only use calendar server 7 and not have to install 6.3 as well just for outlook users.
            Outlook Connector doesn't yet support Calendar Server 7 update 1 (which is part of Communications Suite 7 update 1).

It will never support Calendar Server 7.

Regards,

Shane.
            • 3. Re: perplexed about outlook connector and caldav compatibility
              Shane,

Do you mean there will never be any way of using Outlook with the new Calendar server ?

Regards,
              Frederic.
              • 4. Re: perplexed about outlook connector and caldav compatibility
                So how do we get outlook to use caldav :) Use an opensource connector?

Another thought:

There's noway that calsever6.3 can sync with calserver7.1? visa versa

Cheers

John
                • 5. Re: perplexed about outlook connector and caldav compatibility
                  fred_vdv wrote:
                  Do you mean there will never be any way of using Outlook with the new Calendar server ?
                  Outlook Connector connectivity will rely on Calendar Server 7 supporting WCAPbis. This support was added in Calendar Server 7 update 1 as per the release notes:

http://wikis.sun.com/display/CommSuite7U1/What%27s+New#What%27sNew-SupportforanUpdatedWCAPProtocolVersion7.0

Now we are waiting for Outlook Connector to support WCAPbis provided by Calendar Server 7 update 1.

Regards,

Shane.
                  • 6. Re: perplexed about outlook connector and caldav compatibility
                    Thanks for your help Shane!

Hopefully we wont have to wait too long on the new outlook connector coming out with WCAPbis support.

Cheers,
                    John