4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2009 2:55 AM by 807574 RSS

Need information about Sun Communication Server & IM Server

Hello Friends,

I want to understand feasibility of below given requirements -

An online portal will have 1000s of users.

If x number of users subscribe for mail services, "ONLY" they'll have access to e-mail (configured with Sun Communication Server)

But all 1000s of users will be able to use chat facility. i.e. They can add friends (END USERS), they can chat with administrators (ADMIN), they can chat with retailers (RETAILER) (all in CAPS are diff group for my portals)

Is it possible to configure something like this with Sun Communication Suite 7?

Please help.

Thank you,

Regards,
      Chintan
        • 1. Re: Need information about Sun Communication Server & IM Server
          chintan.ind wrote:
          An online portal will have 1000s of users.
          What do you mean by "an online portal"? Will the users be accessing email/IM via the Convergence web-interface or some other third-party/thick client interface?
          If x number of users subscribe for mail services, "ONLY" they'll have access to e-mail (configured with Sun Communication Server)

But all 1000s of users will be able to use chat facility. i.e. They can add friends (END USERS), they can chat with administrators (ADMIN), they can chat with retailers (RETAILER) (all in CAPS are diff group for my portals)

Is it possible to configure something like this with Sun Communication Suite 7?
          Yes, you can restrict which services (IM, mail, cal) that a user is provided access to.

Regards,

Shane.
          • 2. Re: Need information about Sun Communication Server & IM Server
            Hi Shane,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes, you understood it right, we will provide these features from an online portal (custom interface).

I understand from our last time discussion that users should be authenticated through Active Directory & custom module to be written for doing so from custom SSO impl.

As you already confirmed that I can limit services for particular users based on config, I just wanted to know if there will be any challanges for displaying mail & chat features within new portal itself and not redirecting users to new page. Is it possible?

Thank you,

Regards,
            Chintan
            • 3. Re: Need information about Sun Communication Server & IM Server
              chintan.ind wrote:
              As you already confirmed that I can limit services for particular users based on config, I just wanted to know if there will be any challanges for displaying mail & chat features within new portal itself and not redirecting users to new page. Is it possible?
              I suggest you talk to the manufacture of the portal software or better yet, install Comm-Suite and the portal software and try it out yourself. At the end of the day that is the best way to know what is and is not possible in reality (vs. based on what the manufacture may tell you is possible).

Regards,

Shane.
              • 4. Re: Need information about Sun Communication Server & IM Server
                Thank you Shane.

Basically it involves several tasks like setting up on a linux box and then carry out the tests .. which I fear might not be possible at this very stage .. if the proposal is finalized, and we win the project then def. during analysis phase, few POC of this sort will be conducted.

Regards,
                Chintan