This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2009 2:38 AM by 807574 RSS

IM configuration error

807574 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,
I have sun messaging setup with 2 backend and 1 frontend server . I have installed instant messaging server 7.3 on one of the backend server , however when I configured Instant Messaging Server it gave the following output and system goes into halt position :
bash-3.00# cd /opt/sun/comms/im/

bash-3.00#  ./configure

Setting DISPLAY environment variable to <ip address of my machine>:0.0

[/ code]

Any idea what am I missing???????????

Regards,
Sanjeev                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
  • 1. Re: IM configuration error
    807574 Newbie
    sanjeev_mahajan wrote:
    I have sun messaging setup with 2 backend and 1 frontend server . I have installed instant messaging server 7.3 on one of the backend server , however when I configured Instant Messaging Server it gave the following output and system goes into halt position
    Why are you installing IM7.3 and not more recent version such as IM8?
    bash-3.00# cd /opt/sun/comms/im/

bash-3.00# ./configure

Setting DISPLAY environment variable to <ip address of my machine>:0.0
    If you are installing via command-line, try the following instead:
    ./configure --nodisplay
    Regards,

Shane.
  • 2. Re: IM configuration error
    807574 Newbie
    Hi Shane,

Thanks ./configure -nodispaly worked fine...

Now I have installed IM 7.3 Server component on backend server and IM 7.3 Client component on frontend server.The installation and configuration didnot gave any error , however I am not able to telnet my localhost on 5222 and also when I try to login users on IM Cient "server not responding" error is generated .

Am I missing something???

Regards,
    Sanjeev
  • 3. Re: IM configuration error
    807574 Newbie
    sanjeev_mahajan wrote:
    Thanks ./configure -nodispaly worked fine...

Now I have installed IM 7.3 Server component on backend server and IM 7.3 Client component on frontend server.The installation and configuration didnot gave any error , however I am not able to telnet my localhost on 5222 and also when I try to login users on IM Cient "server not responding" error is generated .

Am I missing something???
    There can be hundreds of reasons to explain the behaviour you are seeing. What I can say is that the front-end multiplexor will not start-up unless the back-end is also up/running.

So the first thing you need to confirm is that the back-end is working correctly, listening on port 5269 etc.

Regards,

Shane.
  • 4. Re: IM configuration error
    807574 Newbie
    Hi Shane,
    ./imadmin start and stop are running fine at backend server
    bash-3.00# ./imadmin start
    Starting IM services using SMF. Please see the SMF logs for progress messages
    bash-3.00# ./imadmin status
    Server                                                                    [UP]
    Multiplexor                                                               [UP]
    Agent:calendar                                                            [UP]
    Watchdog                                                                  [UP]
    but I tried telnet localhost 5269 .......it gave the following error:
    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
    I also checked logs , it is not showing any error there.........Any idea what else am I missing??????

Regards,
    Sanjeev
  • 5. Re: IM configuration error
    807574 Newbie
    sanjeev_mahajan wrote:
    ./imadmin start and stop are running fine at backend server
    Do you see an errors logged in the following file (on the front-end and back-end servers)?

"/var/svc/log/application-sunim:default.log"
    but I tried telnet localhost 5269 .......it gave the following error:
    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
    The front-end multiplexor (listening on port 5222 by default) connects to the back-end server via port 45222. What output do you get for the following commands (on the front-end and back-end):
    netstat -an | grep 5222
    netstat -an | grep 5269
    I also checked logs , it is not showing any error there.
    Which logs exactly?

Have you enabled more detailed logging by setting log4j.rootLogger=ON and log4j.logger.xmppd=DEBUG, A1 in the "/opt/SUNWiim/config/log4j.conf" directory and then restarting IM?

Regards,

Shane.
  • 6. Re: IM configuration error
    807574 Newbie
    Hi Shane,
    I saw errors logged in at "/var/svc/log/application-sunim:default.log" only in backend server .
    I have pasted below the entries in the logs , this might be helpful:
    Starting Server [59C[[32mOK[0m]
    [ Jul 16 11:33:34 Stopping because service disabled. ]
    [ Jul 16 11:33:34 Executing stop method ("/opt/sun/comms/im/sbin/imadmin stop") ]
    Stopping Watchdog [53C[[31mFAILED[0m]
    Watchdog already stopped
    Stopping Server [59C[[32mOK[0m]
    Stopping Multiplexor [54C[[32mOK[0m]
    Stopping agent-calendar [51C[[32mOK[0m]
    [ Jul 16 11:33:38 Method "stop" exited with status 0 ]
    [ Jul 16 11:34:16 Enabled. ]
    [ Jul 16 11:34:16 Executing start method ("/opt/sun/comms/im/sbin/imadmin start") ]
    Starting Watchdog Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/iplanet/am/sdk/AMUser
         at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
         at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:164)
         at com.iplanet.im.server.RealmManager.get(RealmManager.java:761)
         at com.iplanet.im.server.RealmManager.init(RealmManager.java:732)
         at com.iplanet.im.server.NMS.loadConfig(NMS.java:545)
         at com.iplanet.im.server.NMS.init(NMS.java:407)
         at com.iplanet.im.server.NMS.create(NMS.java:199)
         at com.iplanet.im.server.NMS.main(NMS.java:1055)
    [57C[[32mOK[0m]
    [ Jul 16 11:34:21 Method "start" exited with status 0 ]
    Starting Server [59C[[32mOK[0m]
    Starting Multiplexor [54C[[32mOK[0m]
    Starting agent-calendar [51C[[32mOK[0m]

I didnt get any output for the following commands (on the front-end and back-end):
    netstat -an | grep 5222
    netstat -an | grep 5269
    I had not enabled the detailed logging in the "/opt/SUNWiim/config/log4j.conf" directory , now I have enabled it now and restarted IM . The xmppd.log shows following entries on restarting IM server:
    [16 Jul 2009 11:34:18,622] INFO  xmppd [main] Starting XMPP Server:  Version 7.3
    [16 Jul 2009 11:34:18,716] INFO  xmppd [main] Server default domain : abc.com
    [16 Jul 2009 11:34:18,728] INFO  xmppd [main] RealmClassName com.iplanet.im.server.IdentityRealm
    [16 Jul 2009 11:34:18,728] DEBUG xmppd [main] Creating realm for first time com.iplanet.im.server.IdentityRealm
    [16 Jul 2009 11:44:35,005] INFO  xmppd [main] Starting XMPP Server:  Version 7.3
    [16 Jul 2009 11:44:35,098] INFO  xmppd [main] Server default domain : abc.com
    [16 Jul 2009 11:44:35,110] INFO  xmppd [main] RealmClassName com.iplanet.im.server.IdentityRealm
    [16 Jul 2009 11:44:35,110] DEBUG xmppd [main] Creating realm for first time com.iplanet.im.server.IdentityRealm
    [16 Jul 2009 11:52:16,802] INFO  xmppd [main] Starting XMPP Server:  Version 7.3
    [16 Jul 2009 11:52:16,894] INFO  xmppd [main] Server default domain : abc.com
    [16 Jul 2009 11:52:16,906] INFO  xmppd [main] RealmClassName com.iplanet.im.server.IdentityRealm
    [16 Jul 2009 11:52:16,906] DEBUG xmppd [main] Creating realm for first time com.iplanet.im.server.IdentityRealm
    Regards,
    Sanjeev
  • 7. Re: IM configuration error
    807574 Newbie
    sanjeev_mahajan wrote:
    Starting Watchdog Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/iplanet/am/sdk/AMUser
         at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
         at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:164)
         at com.iplanet.im.server.RealmManager.get(RealmManager.java:761)
         at com.iplanet.im.server.RealmManager.init(RealmManager.java:732)
         at com.iplanet.im.server.NMS.loadConfig(NMS.java:545)
         at com.iplanet.im.server.NMS.init(NMS.java:407)
         at com.iplanet.im.server.NMS.create(NMS.java:199)
         at com.iplanet.im.server.NMS.main(NMS.java:1055)
    As I suspected, you have an access manager integration problem.

Did you install and configure the Access Manager SDK on the back-end server? What version of Access Manager?

Did you configure the back-end to run as the root user (iim.user = "root" and iim.group = "root" in iim.conf)?

Regards,

Shane.
  • 8. Re: IM configuration error
    807574 Newbie
    Hi Shane,
    I have an Access Manager 7.1 installed and configured on frontend server .

Yes I configured the back-end to run as the root user (iim.user = "root" and iim.group = "root" in iim.conf)

Regards,
    Sanjeev
  • 9. Re: IM configuration error
    807574 Newbie
    sanjeev_mahajan wrote:
    I have an Access Manager 7.1 installed and configured on frontend server .
    If you are using Access Manager for authentication/policy storage then you must also install and configure the Access Manager SDK on the back-end server. Instant Messaging Server uses the AM SDK to access the AM server installed on the front-end system.

This was discussed here: http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5185114

Regards,

Shane.
  • 10. Re: IM configuration error
    807574 Newbie
    Hi Shane,
    I have installed AM SDK on backend server , I am still not able to assign services .
    when I use ./imadmin assign_services (on backend server) I get the following errors:
    bash-3.00# ./imadmin assign_services
    Please enter base DN: dc=abc,dc=com
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
            at com.iplanet.am.sdk.ldap.DirectoryServicesFactory.<clinit>(DirectoryServicesFactory.java:58)
            at com.iplanet.am.sdk.ldap.DirectoryServicesProviderImpl.getDirectoryServicesImpl(DirectoryServicesProviderImpl.java:54)
            at com.iplanet.am.sdk.AMDirectoryAccessFactory.instantiateImpls(AMDirectoryAccessFactory.java:126)
            at com.iplanet.am.sdk.AMDirectoryAccessFactory.initialize(AMDirectoryAccessFactory.java:93)
            at com.iplanet.am.sdk.AMDirectoryAccessFactory.getDirectoryServices(AMDirectoryAccessFactory.java:180)
            at com.iplanet.am.sdk.AMStoreConnection.<init>(AMStoreConnection.java:181)
            at com.sun.im.identity.util.Service.assignServicesToUsers(Unknown Source)
            at com.sun.im.identity.util.Service.doCommand(Unknown Source)
            at com.sun.im.identity.util.Service.main(Unknown Source)
    Caused by: com.sun.identity.security.AMSecurityPropertiesException: AdminTokenAction:  FATAL ERROR: Cannot obtain Application SSO token.
    Check AMConfig.properties for the following properties
            com.sun.identity.agents.app.username
            com.iplanet.am.service.password
            at com.sun.identity.security.AdminTokenAction.run(AdminTokenAction.java:243)
            at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
            at com.iplanet.am.sdk.ldap.CommonUtils.getInternalToken(CommonUtils.java:120)
            at com.iplanet.am.sdk.ldap.CommonUtils.populateManagedObjects(CommonUtils.java:515)
            at com.iplanet.am.sdk.ldap.CommonUtils.<clinit>(CommonUtils.java:112)
            ... 9 more
    Done.
    Can you please provide me some information as to how shall I configure AM SDK on backend server

Regards,
    Sanjeev
  • 11. Re: IM configuration error
    807574 Newbie
    sanjeev_mahajan wrote:
    Can you please provide me some information as to how shall I configure AM SDK on backend server
    If you need help configuring Access Manager, I suggest you ask on the Access Manager forum:

http://forums.sun.com/forum.jspa?forumID=760

Regards,

Shane.