5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2009 12:47 AM by 808160 RSS

Deny ability to chat

I want to use Sun IM strictly for pop-up functionality. In the Admin Guide it states "When InstantMessaging is used exclusively for the pop-up functionality, the end user will not
      be provided with the access privileges to presence information, chat, and news features." so I believe it is possible, but it does not explain very clearly how this is achieved. Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Thanks
      J
        • 1. Re: Deny ability to chat
          Hi,

I assume by pop-up's you meant calendar popup reminders.To enable this on IM please refer this doc - http://wikis.sun.com/display/CommSuite6U1RR122308/Using+Calendar+Pop-up+Reminders.
          IM calendar popup's are nothing but alerts.So you need to modify the
          ---> "sysSendAlerts.acl" if you are using file based policy management or
          ---> "IM Allow Send Alerts Role" if you are using Access manager based policy management.
          You could refer this doc for modifying the same - http://wikis.sun.com/display/CommSuite6U1RR122308/Managing+Instant+Messaging+and+Presence+Policies

HTH,
          Swetha

Edited by: Swetha_Raj on Jun 9, 2009 5:55 PM
          • 2. Re: Deny ability to chat
            Thanks for the reply. That is not exactly what I am looking for but it may work. I will investigate.

Here is a scenario:

We have a group of users on our system that log into Windows Kiosks to use a specific application. When they log in, the Sun IM jnlp client is fired up. The client is there to notify users of potential down times/outages. The notifications will be composed and sent by help desk staff. We do not want the Windows user to be able to reply or create instant messages. It is strictly a notification tool.

Is the calendar alert method best suited for this?

Thanks again,
            J
            • 3. Re: Deny ability to chat
              jguffain wrote:
              Thanks for the reply. That is not exactly what I am looking for but it may work. I will investigate.
              I assumed it is calendar pop-up since you used the term pop-up
              >
              Here is a scenario:

We have a group of users on our system that log into Windows Kiosks to use a specific application. When they log in, the Sun IM jnlp client is fired up. The client is there to notify users of potential down times/outages. The notifications will be composed and sent by help desk staff. We do not want the Windows user to be able to reply or create instant messages. It is strictly a notification tool.
              You can use normal IM alerts for this.
              File based policy management -

1.Edit /IM_INSTALLDIR/config/acls/sysSendAlerts.acl file and add entries like this,
              u:user1
              u:user2
              g:cn=helpdesk,ou=groups,o=windows
              d:False

Here u - users,g - group,d - default.Here you just have to add the help desk users.

2.Ensure the remaining acl files,sysAdmin.acl,sysTopicsAdd.acl,sysRoomsAdd.acl,sysSaveUserSettings.acl and sysWatch.acl have default access "d:False"
              http://forums.sun.com/post!reply.jspa?messageID=10734641
              3.Stop and Start IM server and login the client the changes should now be reflected

Access Manager based policy management

1. Log in to the Access Manager admin console at http://<hostname>:<port>/<amconsole>.
              For example: http://imserver.company22.example.com:80/amconsole
              2. Select the Identity Management tab.
              3. Select Policies in the View drop down list in the navigation pane (the lower-left frame)
              4.Click on "Default instant messaging and presence access" from the list of policies
              5.On the right hand side,select Rules ->Edit IMDefaultRule and IMPresenceRule and choose to deny everything except "Ability to recieve Alerts"
              6.Once this is done,click on Roles in View drop down list
              7.Here click on "IM Regular User" and add all the users whom you want to deny creating messages.
              8.Then click on "IM Allow Send Alerts Role" and add the help desk staff
              9.Restart AM and IM for the changes to take effect.

>
              Is the calendar alert method best suited for this?
              No calendar remiders are any calendar notifcations,it could be notification of any upcoming task or an event.

HTH,
              Swetha
              >
              Thanks again,
              J
              • 4. Re: Deny ability to chat
                Thanks for all the help. Alerts look like the way i want to go.

In my AM setup I have 2 realms:

"isp" and "isp > company22.com"

The roles you listed are under isp but my users are under company22.com. Are those roles inherited?
                • 5. Re: Deny ability to chat
                  jguffain wrote:
                  Thanks for all the help. Alerts look like the way i want to go.

In my AM setup I have 2 realms:

"isp" and "isp > company22.com"

The roles you listed are under isp but my users are under company22.com. Are those roles inherited?
                  Yes the roles are inherited from the top level root.

-Swetha