7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2010 3:25 PM by 793959 RSS

Postnet Bar Code on envelopes

Does StarOffice support POSTNET bar codes on envelopes? I've been unable to find out how to do this. If it doesn't it would be nice if this feature was included as soon as possible.
        • 1. Re: Postnet Bar Code on envelopes
          Hi there

Unfortunately, StarOffice currently does not support barcode creation.

However, we will forward your enquiry to our Development and Quality & Assurance teams for a possible feature enhancement in one of the StarOffice versions.

Thank you very much.
          • 2. Re: Postnet Bar Code on envelopes
            The lack of USPS barcode insertion in/on envelopes AND labels makes this program practically useless for me. I will reluctantly return to Word and WordPerfect.

Word does not do barcodes on labels and WordPerfect has a serious problem formatting different envelopes.

When Sun does this feature, please make the size of envelope specification very flexible and provide for insertion in/on labels too. This one feature is worth $20 for me. Actually, I would not buy or recommend without it.
            • 3. Re: Postnet Bar Code on envelopes
              <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText"><b>Quote:</b></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
              When Sun does this feature, please make the size of envelope specification very flexible and provide for insertion in/on labels too. This one feature is worth $20 for me. Actually, I would not buy or recommend without it.
              </td></tr></table>

barcode is important, indeed. More to bulk mailers (perhaps, like yourself) then others . However, I found SO8 has so many other useful features, I am not sure too many others support your assertion.

For example, in the past I had to use costly s/w packages to desgin my brochures, or flyers (Commercial Real Estate).

With SO8, I find it a breaze to move from the Writer, to Draw, where I can use more then million different shapes and colors for my Brochure. Then with one click, it is converted into pdf. format ready for mass mailing.
              • 4. Re: Postnet Bar Code on envelopes
                i bought staroffice replacing openoffice figuring that of course since openoffice did not have zipcode barcodes for envelopes, the pay version surely would. alas. suckered again. please renew here in 2010 the plea from 2006 to install POSTNET codes in staroffice writer to print envelopes with zipcode barcodes on them.
                • 5. Re: Postnet Bar Code on envelopes
                  Friday, April 02, 2010

Since the envelope macro and free bar code font were/are available for free since SO8 and SO is an international not US program, I do not understand this request.

I have not posted the links to the files because the envelope macro does not work with SO 9.2 because of changes in the macro language.

That said, one can create an envelope template which can use the font. You would have to type in the ZIP code and the barcode would appear.

Phil
                  • 6. Re: Postnet Bar Code on envelopes
                    i am glad to know there is an answer to my need. not that i can figure it out, but that there could be one. thanks for giving me a new concept. "supercilinux manner."
                    • 7. Re: Postnet Bar Code on envelopes
                      Monday, April 19, 2010

As with all things involving Oracle Open Office (formerly known as StarOffice), with items that are not specific to the Oracle distribution, check these sites.

http://user.services.openoffice.org/
                      http://www.oooforum.org/

On these sites you will find instructions for creating a template.

What you are seeking to do, if I understand correctly is create an envelope template into which you can paste an address. I have those for both home and office for No. 10 envelope. If I was an American wanting to add a barcode to the envelope, I would modify the template to include a place for barcode insertion which would have barcode style using the following font:

http://www.adams1.com/pub/russadam/shareware/uspsbarcode.ttf

Again for instructions about creating a style, see the above sites.

Note for Americans this may all become redundant in 2011. The following site has support for the change.

https://ribbs.usps.gov/onecodesolution/download.cfm?downloads=all&selection=0

Phil