5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2010 10:25 PM by 793959 RSS

Product activation in StarOffice?

Hello,

On the box of StarOffice 9 I see a picture of MacBook and on the display it says "Licensed for use on up to 5 PCs". Now I'm wondering how does StarOffice check on how many PCs you installed StarOffice? Does StarOffice use an internet connection to check this? Do you need to activate StarOffice before you can use it (just like Microsoft Office)? So, can StarOffice only be installed on PCs with an internet connection or can I also install StarOffice 9 on a PC that isn't connected to the internet?
        • 1. Re: Product activation in StarOffice?
          Nobody who can answer this question?
          • 2. Re: Product activation in StarOffice?
            Saturday, September 12, 2009

Hopefully if my answer is incorrect then someone from Sun will jump in and correct me.

SO9x.x is support branding for OOo3.x.x. Unlike previous SO versions, no changes are made to the OOo code. Therefore registration information is attached to the installer. My registration permitted me to download the installer for SO9 windows. When I installed a file called version.ini contains the information about my registration. The useful difference, from my perspective, between SO9 and OO3 is that, baring a major code change such as the one which occurred between 3.0.1 and 3.1, SO9 offers incremental update. That is only the changed part of the code are updated rather than all the code which is what happens with OOo3. To run, the update checks the software on your system and looks for the original installation files to confirm one is a licensed user. Since I do not like keeping installation files on my system, they are stored on a USB portable drive. I simply point the installer to the portable drive so installation can take place.

Phil
            • 3. Re: Product activation in StarOffice?
              Well, there is only one way - assuming that every user is registering every copy installed, SUN will know how many times a copy has bee installed. If the installed copies will not be registered the user will not be entitled to download the latest updates...
              • 4. Re: Product activation in StarOffice?
                Star office 9 don't requires serial number during installation, neither activation after install (or other activation options phone, license file) ...
                So it seems user can freely download it and install it more than on 5 machines ?
                Though license (serial number provided after purchase) gives you right to install Star office 9 up to 5 computers :)

I bought this Star office, but i don't get what update i should download:
                a) from HTTP link (packed *.exe file for installation) or
                b) from HTTP link signed *.JAR file ?

It says both files are for StarOffice 9 (Windows, English only)
                I fail to update by launching JAR file (i downloaded and install java 32bit and 64bit versions)
                Patches site should have more info (or script) that may help users to download file(s) they need ... >.>
                • 5. Re: Product activation in StarOffice?
                  Friday, March 26, 2010
                  Star office 9 don't requires serial number during installation, neither activation after install (or other activation options phone, license file) ...
                  The license number is registered through the initial download process and is attached to your profile (the one with which you used to log in)
                  So it seems user can freely download it and install it more than on 5 machines ?
                  If you have a license attached to your profile, you can download the updates. There is a time limit on the original download. There is also an option in the program to register each installed copy with your profile.

Since SO9 is a support version of OOo3, the issue of license and being registered would come when one seeks the support.
                  I bought this Star office, but i don't get what update i should download:
                  a) from HTTP link (packed .exe file for installation) or
                  b) from HTTP link signed .JAR file ?
                  I always download the ZIP, extract, and run the installed file. The update installer seeks verification of previous version by checking for previous installation files before installation. Search the forum for more details.

Phil

Edited by: PGAGA on 27-Mar-2010 12:25 AM