This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2007 8:45 AM by 793959 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: update 6
    807578 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    I have now discovered how to create adabas database files - in the database wizard choose connect to an existing database and then select adabas, then browse for the name of a database to connect to and select to create a new database. It seems that you then open the file in SO Base, but get some extra funcionality, and wonder what purpose it would serve?

I did all this as an experiment and then found that I could not delete the adabas installation folder into which the new files were placed. I have therefore uninstalled adabas (since I actively dislike programs that make files undeletable) and deleted as much of the installation folder as possible. Attempts at deletion produce an error message that the file is in use, but finally I was able to delete the files after restarting the computer.
  • 16. Re: update 6
    793959 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Saturday, May 26, 2007
    I have now discovered how to create adabas database
    files - in the database wizard choose connect to an
    existing database and then select adabas, then browse
    for the name of a database to connect to and select
    to create a new database. It seems that you then
    open the file in SO Base, but get some extra
    funcionality, and wonder what purpose it would
    serve?
    If my memory is working, acabas was included with SO7 as the base program which OOo 1.1.x lacked. I use Sidekick for Windows for my database files, so cannot really comment on using SO databases. I suspect the files are still around with SO8 for compatibility purposes.
    I did all this as an experiment and then found that I
    could not delete the adabas installation folder into
    which the new files were placed. I have therefore
    uninstalled adabas (since I actively dislike programs
    that make files undeletable) and deleted as much of
    the installation folder as possible. Attempts at
    deletion produce an error message that the file is in
    use, but finally I was able to delete the files after
    restarting the computer.
    Because of SO Quick Start, drives and and files can be locked. If you can recognize the programs causing the lock, the Windows Task Manager can "kill" them. Otherwise one has to reboot.

Phil
1 2 Previous Next