This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2010 11:45 PM by 807578 RSS

Xorg can't show x-win application because it tell us: no enough colours

807578 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello to all:

First of all, I ask you excuses for my maltreat of english. My mother tongue is spanish.

Afterward... we going to the problem. We have a sun blade 150 with solaris 8 running a Xwin aplication (It's the client), on this machine with XSUN server the applicatión run perfectly.

We would like use a X86 PC with Solaris 10 like a XWin server (across Xorg).
We can see without problems applications like xcalc or xeyes, but the application that we want, don't work. At de begining seems yes but early it say: "not enough colours".

We are desperate and accept whatever suggestion except to jump through window because it's no use, we are on the ground floor.

Thank you in advance and kind regards
  • 1. Re: Xorg can't show x-win application because it tell us: no enough colours
    807578 Newbie
    Sounds like the X server on your Solaris 10 machine may be only configured for 8-bit (256 colours). See the manual page for 'fbconfig' for how to confirm this, and how to change to 16 or 24-bit colour if your graphics card supports it:

[http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5166/fbconfig-1m?a=view|http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5166/fbconfig-1m?a=view]
  • 2. Re: Xorg can't show x-win application because it tell us: no enough colours
    807578 Newbie
    Hello, and thanks for your advice, but not seems will be it.

On SB150 with Solaris 8, it was configurated with 8 depth colour. On Solaris 10 X86 Pc we try with 8 or 24 depth bit colour and both have similar behaviour.

With regard to change in Solaris 10 depth colour has a bit complicating. If you believe that for change it you need to change on /etc/X11/xorg.cong, well, you are wrong, You need to do:
    svccfg -s x11-server setprop options/default_depth==8

or depth colour never changes it, at least to me

Some other idea will be precious to us.

Thanks