5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2008 8:24 AM by 807578 RSS

Gnome terminal not opening

Hi

I have a problem with the gnome terminal not opening at all on Solaris 8/07 (Sun Ultra 24). No error message is output, the terminal simply fails to open.

Help appreciated
      Lance
        • 1. Re: Gnome terminal not opening
          Couple of things to try:

* Enter a failsafe session from the login screen, and run gnome-terminal from the failsafe terminal window. See if you get any console errors that way.

* If that doesn't work, run 'truss gnome-terminal' in the failsafe terminal instead, and see if the output gives you any clues (post it here if you like).
          • 2. Re: Gnome terminal not opening
            Incidentally, the problem started after I tried to install a wireless network driver (Ralink). (see description for installation at http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/laptop/wireless/ral/)

./gnome-terminal yields:

>>>
            ld.so.1: gnome-terminal: fatal: libvte.so.4: open failed: No such file or directory
            Killed
            <<<

truss ./gnome-terminal is more elaborate:

>>>
            execve("gnome-terminal", 0x08047F10, 0x08087F18) argc = 1
            resolvepath("/usr/lib/ld.so.1", "/lib/ld.so.1", 1023) = 12
            mmap(0x00000000, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANON, -1, 0) = 0xCE7C0000
            getcwd("/a/usr/bin", 1008)
            resolvepath("/a/usr/bin/gnome-terminal", "/a/usr/bin/gnome-terminal", 1023) = 25
            xstat(2, "/a/usr/bin/gnome-terminal", 0x08047CE8) = 0
            open("/var/ld/ld.config", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
            sysconfig(_CONFIG_PAGESIZE) = 4096
            xstat(2, "/usr/sfw/lib/libvte.so.4", 0x08047530) Err#2 ENOENT
            xstat(2, "/usr/openwin/lib/libvte.so.4", 0x08047530) Err#2 ENOENT
            xstat(2, "/usr/openwin/lib/libvte.so.4", 0x08047530) Err#2 ENOENT
            xstat(2, "/usr/openwin/sfw/lib/libvte.so.4", 0x08047530) Err#2 ENOENT
            xstat(2, "/lib/libvte.so.4", 0x08047530) Err#2 ENOENT
            xstat(2, "/usr/lib/libvte.so.4", 0x08047530) Err#2 ENOENT
            ld.so.1: gnome-terminal: fatal: libvte.so.4: open failed: No such file or directory
            write(2, " ld . so . 1 : g n o".., 84) = 84
            lwp_self() = 1
            <<<
            • 3. Re: Gnome terminal not opening
              Ok, so libvte is missing. I presume we're talking about GNOME 2.0 here, i.e. the version you can download from [Sun's website|http://www.sun.com/software/star/gnome/get/index.xml] ? (That's the only version that's supported on Solaris 8).

If so, next step would be to check the logs in /var/sadm/install and see if any of the GNOME packages failed to install. (I don't have an old copy of GNOME 2.0 lying around to check which package is supposed to install libvte, unfortunately...)

EDIT: looking at it again, I'm surprised to see "/a/usr/bin" in the truss output, rather than "/usr/bin"... where is the "/a" coming from? Is libvte installed in /a/usr/lib/ instead? If so, you can probably fix it by adding /a/usr/lib to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH. But if you've installed GNOME in a non-standard location, that could potentially cause other issues too-- unfortunately, it's not really relocatable.

Edited by: calum on Jun 26, 2008 12:29 PM
              • 4. Re: Gnome terminal not opening
                I'm running Solaris 10 8/07 with Gnome 2.6.1.

Strangely, I just rebooted the machine (which I've done quite a few times before today to no avail) and on restart, I can again launch a gnome-terminal ! Perhaps libvte was not found since it was located under /a/usr when in failsafe mode?

I still have a problem with jdshelp, which either hangs or starts very slowly. When running truss /usr/bin/jdshelp, I get profuse output but often errors like "/usr/openwin/lib/libdoor.so.1 Err#2 ENOENT" - this error is output many times for calls to files under /usr/openwin/lib/. Finally, the truss output shows "pollsys(0x08090D00, 7, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) (sleeping...)"

Thanks again
                • 5. Re: Gnome terminal not opening
                  Yeah, I just remembered before you replied that failsafe mode mounts the root filesystem under /a. Pretty sure that would have been the issue, alright.

Hmm, odd that you have a 'jdshelp' binary at all, I didn't think we'd invented the term 'jds' until sometime after we released GNOME for Solaris 8! Am I right in thinking that it really just launches javahelp? If so, you might get more help for that over on the [JavaHelp forum|http://forum.java.sun.com/forum.jspa?forumID=42].