This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2003 7:09 PM by 807581 RSS

SOAP message command processing

807581 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm looking for info on how SOAP calls to the process engine are handled. From the SOAP example application it is clear that a SOAP request to the Process engine can be used to launch a process but I have been unable to find any clear documentation on how this is performed.

What I want to do is use a SOAP call from a JSP page to interact with an offered or queued activity rather than start a new process instance. I believe this is possible but can�t find the relevant documentation. As documented in the Backbone Integration Guide http messaged can be sent to a proxy and XSL used to pars out FN commands that can interact with a activity, what is not clear is how this could be achieved using a message sent to a SOAP iIS proxy.

Thanks

Graeme

• 1. Re: SOAP message command processing
    807581 Newbie
    Graeme,

Have you looked at the Backbone System Guide, particularly the section on SOAP Sessions?

A proxy configured for SOAP sessions cannot participate in XML transformations. If you want to use XSL you have to configure the proxy for XSL and handle the SOAP semantics yourself.

If this does not address your question or I have not understood it completely, please respond.

Stephen
  • 2. Re: SOAP message command processing
    807581 Newbie
    Thankyou Stephen

This certainly answers part of my question but there are a few things I would like to clarify. In the example a SOAP request is used to initiate a process registered with process engine. I want to know if I can use a SOAP request to interact with an activity of a running process, the interaction needs to be initiated by a SOAP request being made to a proxy, rather than the activity initiating the interaction.
    Is there any built in support in iIS for processing SOAP request that perform functions on the process engine or is the instantiate process the only example.
    If I with to send SOAP requests to the process engine is the best approach the use a service object exposed as a SOAP service and rout all SOAP request via this service object

Regards

Graeme
  • 3. Re: SOAP message command processing
    807581 Newbie
    Graeme,

The only built-in support is for activities that make a call out to a SOAP service to get some work done. The proxy cannot be a SOAP service itself.

One way to get around this would be to create an adapter/connector that is a SOAP service and acts as a "pure" HTTP client to a proxy that is configured as an XML/HTTP server, or maybe to a JMS proxy.

Hope this helps,
    Stephen
  • 4. Re: SOAP message command processing
    807581 Newbie
    Ok,

I have just one final issue which is puzzling me and which originally sent me on this SOAP path.

The demo titled "iPlanet� Integration Server Web Services Demo" with sun.solve id 7715 uses a SOAP request from a jsp page to a proxy on port 12880 to instantiate a process registered in the process engine. This makes the proxy appear as a SOAP service. The backbone also has a Service Definition which is used to define the SOAP interface. Can this combination of proxy and Service Definition be used for other interactions with the process engine besides instantiate process. From the documentation it was not clear to me how this Service Definition was used to send commands to the process engine (ie instantiate process).
  • 5. Re: SOAP message command processing
    807581 Newbie
    It looks like you have two options when you explicitly define a service definition. One is to specify a process name in the in the ProcessName parameter and the other is to specify a application code in the ApplicationCode parameter. The two parameters are mutually exclusive. If you specify ProcessName, the service is for creating process instances. If you specify ApplicationCode, you are defining an application service that the process engine/proxy combination can call out to. Unfortunately this is implied rather than clearly stated.

Stephen