2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2006 10:41 AM by 807581

Getting Axis fault when using SJSAS 8.1

I am working on an application that uses axis 1.1, when I try to invoke a web service I am getting this Exception

NESTED-EXCEPTION: org.apache.axis.AxisFault
      MSG: ; nested exception is:
           java.lang.NullPointerException
      at org.apache.axis.AxisFault.makeFault(AxisFault.java:129)
      at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2251)
      at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2171)
      at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:1691)
      at newpakage.remote.user.soap.UserServiceSoapBindingStub.getUser(UserServiceSoapBindingStub.java:171)
      and
      NESTED-EXCEPTION: java.lang.NullPointerException
      MSG: <none>
      at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:396)
      at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl.setProperty(SAXParserImpl.java:395)
      at org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContextImpl.parse(DeserializationContextImpl.java:246)
      at org.apache.axis.SOAPPart.getAsSOAPEnvelope(SOAPPart.java:538)
      at org.apache.axis.Message.getSOAPEnvelope(Message.java:376)
      at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invokeEngine(Call.java:2583)
      at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2553)
      at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2248)
      at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2171)
      at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:1691)
      at newpakage.remote.user.soap.UserServiceSoapBindingStub.getUser(UserServiceSoapBindingStub.java:171)

I think this is because of a bug in Axis 1.1 and also because of xerces that is shipped with JDK 1.5.

This exception is seen only on SJSAS 8.1 installed on solaris , It 's working fine on SJSAS 8.1 installed on Windows. Like in Tomcat 5.5 is there any compatibility kit for SJSAS 8.1 to work with j2sdk 1.4.2 . Please provide me link if any.
        • 1. Re: Getting Axis fault when using SJSAS 8.1
          I see exactly the same problem on windows, using axis 1.1 and java 1.5.
          I havent got a solution though :(
          • 2. Re: Getting Axis fault when using SJSAS 8.1
            The problem was because of Axis 1.1's incompatability with JDK 1.5 (because of the default SAXParser that ships with JDK 1.5).

First solution is to force SunOne to use Apache xerces instead of Sun xerces. Overriding SAXParserFactory should have worked just by putting xerces.jar in classpath or setting the jaxp.properties. But on SunOne 8.1 it works only when you copy apache xerces.jar (rename xercesImpl.jar to xerces.jar and copy) into appserver/lib directory and modifying the SAXParserFactory value in the appserver/lib/processLauncher.xml.

Modifying processLauncher.xml would set SAXParserFactory for all the domains, nodeagents and all appservers in SunOne 8.1 application server, So we thought it was not the best solution. But it works perfectly

Other solution was to migrate to Axis 1.2 or higher versions. We migrated to Axis 1.4.

Hope this helps.