This message implies that one of the ports the app server is attempting to bind to is already in use by some other process. Check the server.log file to see which port is in conflict. Then resolve the conflict by stopping the process that is already using the port or change the server configuration to use a different port.
I too get the same error while starting the Default Server. But I dont have any port problem. This is the error I am getting
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
Well, if you get this exception you do have a port problem. You can either make sure that SSL port (value is presumably 1043) is not in use by some other process or you can change the value of this port number to a different, free port and restart the server.
To find out which prots are currently being used in the windows environment. Go to the command prompt and type netstat -a. This gives you all the ports that are in use by different processes.
Now you can go to the servers config file. For domain1 the file is in: ..\Sun\AppServer\domains\domain1\config\domain.xml and change the port no to the port that is not in use.
In the directory "domains/domain1/server1/config" below the installation directory (assuming your instance is called "server1") there is a file called "server.xml". It contains most of the configuration for the instance. Open it in a text editor and search for the port number you are having problems with, and change it.
I try to avoid the range 1000-2000 because I've noticed that Microsoft seem to consider this range their own.
If you use the Windows firewall, then I might have an idea. I got also that Exception and I didn't find solution for the problem. But I had a look at the exception list of the Windows Firewall and I found the java and javaws twice. After I removed all of them from the list, the Firewall asked me for my permission again related to the java and javaw, and the server started working.
I am getting the same error during JBoss start up. The weird thing is that the port number in the error message is not in use.
I tried to use netstat, TCPIP viewer, and some other tools, could not find what is using the port.
Also, when I use a piece of simple problem to connect to the port, it appears to be in use as well. Can't figure out why.