1 2 3 Previous Next 329 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2010 5:24 AM by JoachimSauer RSS

Migration to Oracle Forums

I've dealt with Oracle Forums before, I think not. It's been nice... see ya around.
        • 1. Re: Migration to Oracle Forums
          I have not used Oracle Forums before, so tell me why you are not willing to migrate other than losing all of your Dukes.
          • 2. Re: Migration to Oracle Forums
            It's not that there's anything particularly wrong about the Oracle forums mechanically, it's a cultural thing, I think. What works here isn't the board, but the community.

If sufficient of the old guard from here actually bother to migrate it may be OK, but you can't tell in advance. There are plenty of backwater forums on Sun where your chances of getting an answer are slight.

Or we may all move to JavaRanch or somewhere else instead. More likely, though, the new forums won't ever build up the kind of community we have here.

It all seems a completely unnecessary re-branding exercise to me potentially destroying what has, over the years, been an invaluable resource. It's dogs and lampposts.
            • 3. Re: Migration to Oracle Forums
              It all seems a completely unnecessary re-branding exercise to me potentially destroying what has, over the years, been an invaluable resource. It's dogs and lampposts.
              I agree it was not necessary, and the move should of been more automatic. However, if we all move as a community, I do not see much problems. They even promised to move the posting histories (have to see about that.) I do sense some animosity on Oracle perhaps.
              • 4. Re: Migration to Oracle Forums
                PhHein
                We'll see what happens. I just noticed that the structure of the Java section is up on the oracle forums. Looks similar to here, just the ordering is still messed up. But maybe it's just visible to moderators. Ignore me in case you don't see anything when being logged in there.
                • 5. Re: Migration to Oracle Forums
                  raychen wrote:
                  I have not used Oracle Forums before, so tell me why you are not willing to migrate other than losing all of your Dukes.
                  Unless they have wildly remodeled the resource in the last 6 months, I do not like the software they use for their search, nor the look and feel of their board. The entire interface is counter intuitive to me, and frustrated me greatly the entire time I tried to use it for support for my Oracle 9 and 10 products. I finally just started doing Google searches to get my questions answered, even thorugh we paid Oracle for support of our products.

When we were looking at DB's several years ago, I championed Sun and Oracle as our business solution, and our company migrated to it. I have been the one since that is the access point to Oracle support, and to be blunt, I've not been pleased. At this point, now several years down the road, our company, partially on my recommendation, is having a clean break from Oracle and their business philosophy, so it just is not likely that I will venture over into the Oracle Forums again.

If they follow through with their philosophy from the past, everyone that registers for the forums will probably start getting Oracle ads, and I have at times, even been SPAMMED from their business partners--I've been told by Oracle that it was a mistake, but yet, I am still getting SPAMMED from their partners. I've had to put all of Oracle on my SPAM list.
                  • 6. Re: Migration to Oracle Forums
                    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias
                    morgalr wrote:
                    raychen wrote:
                    Unless they have wildly remodeled the resource in the last 6 months, I do not like the software they use for their search, nor the look and feel of their board. The entire interface is counter intuitive to me, and frustrated me greatly the entire time I tried to use it for support for my Oracle 9 and 10 products. I finally just started doing Google searches to get my questions answered, even thorugh we paid Oracle for support of our products.
                    I only liked the Sun forum searches ever for about 6 months or so. I believe that was when they were specifically using google searches for the back end (I think it said something to that effect.)

Other than that it was always useless.
                    When we were looking at DB's several years ago, I championed Sun and Oracle as our business solution, and our company migrated to it. I have been the one since that is the access point to Oracle support, and to be blunt, I've not been pleased. At this point, now several years down the road, our company, partially on my recommendation, is having a clean break from Oracle and their business philosophy, so it just is not likely that I will venture over into the Oracle Forums again.

If they follow through with their philosophy from the past, everyone that registers for the forums will probably start getting Oracle ads, and I have at times, even been SPAMMED from their business partners--I've been told by Oracle that it was a mistake, but yet, I am still getting SPAMMED from their partners. I've had to put all of Oracle on my SPAM list.
                    Take a lesson from here when Sun messed up the forums - complain to the ISP provider rather than Oracle. That can lead to Oracle being marked as a spam source. And one might suppose that is something that they do not want to happen.
                    • 7. Re: Migration to Oracle Forums
                      jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias
                      morgalr wrote:
                      You are leaving Oracle solely because of the support?
                      And you are going to a different database provider because their support is substantially better? Who might that be?
                      • 8. Re: Migration to Oracle Forums
                        jschell wrote:
                        And you are going to a different database provider because their support is substantially better? Who might that be?
                        I'm sure there are places where you can pay a lot less for the same lack of support than with Oracle ;-)
                        • 9. Re: Migration to Oracle Forums
                          jschell wrote:
                          No, I would say not at all--I would have to say out of MS, IBM, and Oracle, they all suck for support. The reason we are abondoning Oracle is their pricing policy. When I went to the Oracle University for some suplimental DBA training, I had some very interesting dicussions about pricing and what we pay compared to what others pay for their license packs. That coupled with lack of support and the fact that for the price of a maintenance contract on just 1 of the 2 Sun servers we have, we can buy a new AMD quadcore server, that runs faster, for less--and it comes complete with a 3 year support contract in place--howbe it, the support is going to suck for that too. Now that does not even begin to address the cost of our support contract with Oracle for the database... When we brought the priicing issue up to Oracle, they essentially said: so what. Well, that "so what" attitude was just more than I care to take from them any more for the amount of money that we were throwing at them every year. I used to justify it by telling myself, and others, that Oracle was the only kid on the block that even had a concept of how to work with data the size of which we use daily. Our database is about 1.5 TB and we do billions of tranactions per processing chain. Well, earlier this year we ran some extensive in-house tests and found that is just not true any more. So... we are re-embracing a vender which we abandoned to embrace Oracle... history repeats... maybe in another 10 years we'll abandon them and go back to Oracle... but I'll be long from caring what they are running by then.
                          • 10. Re: Migration to Oracle Forums
                            morgalr wrote:
                            I've dealt with Oracle Forums before, I think not. It's been nice... see ya around.
                            OK, but you are assuming that migrating Sun forum's participants to the ORA forums won't improve the latter (at least in the quality & quantity of responses given to people having issues)

Come to think of it, I'm assuming the opposite. So let's see what happens.
                            • 11. Re: Migration to Oracle Forums
                              gimbal2
                              I dunno, but I have a gut feeling that this is a parting of ways for most of the regulars here, either now or somewhere further down the line. Perhaps it is time to move on - I'd say StackOverflow is a good place to haunt in stead. Anybody else have an idea where they will mosey on to if the Oracle forums turn out to be a bummer?
                              • 12. Re: Migration to Oracle Forums
                                Darryl Burke
                                Many of the regulars here are already active on other forums, so they won't have much of a decision to make if they're not happy with the OTN. At least one regular posted here is a moderator on two other Java forums (not here) and one of our moderators is very actve on StackOverflow and maybe (not sure) is a moderator there too.

I'm signed up to about 6 or 7 forums, mostly for the doubtful privilege of being able to point out cross postings everywhere ;-)

db
                                • 13. Re: Migration to Oracle Forums
                                  I'm not altogether sure what I'll do... we'll see. I'm hardly active here as it is.

®
                                  • 14. Re: Migration to Oracle Forums
                                    To add: I'm mostly worried that we have to go and teach Oracle the very same lesson we taught Sun in the last couple of years.
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next