9 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2010 11:33 AM by PhHein

Flying Saucer encoding problem

Hi, i have a problem with encoding when creating pdf using Flying Saucer. I have xhtml document in UTF-8 and because I'm from the czech republic, i need to use several specific extended characters. The problem is, that Flying Saucer's default encoding is Latin1 (ISO-8859-1), which doesn't support these characters. In the documentation of the FS I have read that you can add specific fonts to support specific encoding by adding font to the font resolver of ITextRenderer class:

ITextRenderer renderer = new ITextRenderer();
      FontResolver resolver = renderer.getFontResolver();
      resolver.addFont (
      "C:\\WINNT\\Fonts\\ARIALUNI.TTF",
      BaseFont.IDENTITY_H,
      BaseFont.NOT_EMBEDDED
      );

where "C:\\WINNT\\Fonts\\ARIALUNI.TTF" is the font, "BaseFont.IDENTITY_H" specifies the encoding (in this case UTF-8) and "BaseFont.NOT_EMBEDDED" is another attribute, not important for now.

But even if I add the font this way, the FS still uses LATIN1 encoding and these characters are displayed wrong. Does anyone know, how to tell FS to use the UTF-8 encoding instead of the default one? Is there anything more I have to set? I was searching the internet and whole documentation for ages but wasn't able to find anything:( any help appreciated..thx
        • 1. Re: Flying Saucer encoding problem
          The name made me curious, so I googled the project web site. If you use their search facility there appears to be work-arounds:
          https://xhtmlrenderer.dev.java.net/servlets/Search?scope=project&resultsPerPage=40&query=encoding&Button=Go
          • 2. Re: Flying Saucer encoding problem
            yes, thx pm_kirkham, but i have been also searching on this project website before... only useful info I managed to find was this (quoting from the site):

-----
            Additional comments from mabiss Thu Nov 16 15:03:26 +0000 2006

Also managed to use UTF-8. To achieve that, based on the given fix, i only
            changed my JSP to output UTF-8 XHTML and changed the code in the filter to:

[[[
            ITextRenderer renderer = new
            ITextRenderer();renderer.getFontResolver().addFont("C:\\WINNT\\Fonts
            ARIALUNI.TTF",
            "UTF-8", BaseFont.NOT_EMBEDDED);
            ]]]

Looks like i had to use a unicode font with UTF-8 (well, that may be incaccurate
            since i have ppor knowledge on how fonts, PDF and unicode/utf8 works).

Now i can render arbitary XHTML to PDF with any language in it as long as its
            UTF-8. Great work guys, xhtmlrenderer rocks. Thanks a million!
            Additional comments from peterbrant Sat Apr 14 19:31:25 +0000 2007
            -----

I'm using identical code, I have correctly specified the unicode font and I'm sure the input file is in UTF-8 encoding, but I'm still getting wrong results (FS still uses LATIN1). I have no idea, what the problem could be...
            • 3. Re: Flying Saucer encoding problem
              solved
              • 4. Re: Flying Saucer encoding problem
                solved
                If you though to be appropriate to post the problem here then you might consider posting the solution.
                • 5. Re: Flying Saucer encoding problem
                  I've got problems with non latin characters (got empty spaceson their place). Can you show me your sample code? and xhtml too?
                  Here is my xhtml
                  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                  <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
                     "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
                  <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
                  <head>
                    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
                  </head>
                  <body style="font-size:15px">
                  <br />

<center  style="font-size:18px">
                  <b><i>&#1057;&#1077;&#1074;&#1077;&#1088;&#1086;-&#1047;&#1072;&#1087;&#1072;&#1076;&#1085;&#1086;&#1077; &#1059;&#1087;&#1088;&#1072;&#1074;&#1083;&#1077;&#1085;&#1080;&#1077;<br /></i></b></center>
                  </body>
                  </html>
                  Here is my JavaCode:
                  String inputFile = "reports/1.xhtml";
                          String url = new File(inputFile).toURI().toURL().toString();

String outputFile = "1.pdf";
                          OutputStream os = new FileOutputStream(outputFile);

renderer.getFontResolver().addFont("c:\\windows\\Fonts\\ARIALUNI.TTF","UTF-8", BaseFont.NOT_EMBEDDED);

renderer.setDocument(url);

renderer.layout();
                          renderer.createPDF(os);

os.close();
                  Edited by: Gellert on Mar 15, 2008 4:33 AM

Edited by: Gellert on Mar 15, 2008 5:21 AM
                  • 6. Re: Flying Saucer encoding problem
                    Hi!
                    Insert style definition in xhtml:
                    <style type="text/css">
                               name
                               {
                                   font-family: "Arial Unicode MS";
                               }
                    </style>
                    and use this definition in <body> tag. Also you must change Java code line:
                    renderer.getFontResolver().addFont(
                             "c:\\windows\\Fonts\\ARIALUNI.TTF",
                             "UTF-8",
                             BaseFont.NOT_EMBEDDED);
                    to
                    renderer.getFontResolver().addFont(
                             "c:\\windows\\Fonts\\ARIALUNI.TTF", 
                             BaseFont.IDENTITY_H, 
                             BaseFont.EMBEDDED);
                    xhtml may look like this:
                    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
                       "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
                    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
                    <head>
                      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
                      <style type="text/css">
                               name
                               {
                                   font-family: "Arial Unicode MS";
                               }
                      </style>
                    </head>
                    <body style="font-size:15px">
                      <name>
                        <br /> 
                        <center  style="font-size:18px">
                        <b><i>Ñåâåðî-Çàïàäíîå Óïðàâëåíèå<br /></i></b></center>
                      </name>
                    </body>
                    </html>
                    and Java code may look like this:
                    String inputFile = "reports/1.xhtml";
                    String url = new File(inputFile).toURI().toURL().toString();

String outputFile = "1.pdf";
                    OutputStream os = new FileOutputStream(outputFile);

renderer.getFontResolver().addFont("c:\\windows\\Fonts\\ARIALUNI.TTF", BaseFont.IDENTITY_H, BaseFont.EMBEDDED); 

renderer.setDocument(url);

renderer.layout();
                    renderer.createPDF(os);

os.close();
                    Detailed information can be found here: [http://lepetitmonster.blogspot.com/2008/10/google-jmesaflying-sauceritext.html] (you can use Google translate, if you need)
                    • 7. Re: Flying Saucer encoding problem
                      I ve got a different problem and I wonder if someone could help me.

I am parsing XHTMLs and create PDFs using the Flying Saucer. The problem is that the itextrenderer seems to completely ignore the
                      &#8804
                      (less than or equal to symbol). The same goes for some other symbols like
                      &#8805

Are these tags supported? Is there something I should do before parsing in order to have the correct result? Or are these tags unsupported and therefore the only solution I have is to parse the XHTML manually and then feed the itextrenderer with the result?

Thanks in advance
                      • 8. Re: Flying Saucer encoding problem
                        Anyone had problem with bolding text which font is different than default??

For example
                        renderer.getFontResolver().addFont(fonts\\TAHOMA.TTF", BaseFont.IDENTITY_H, BaseFont.NOT_EMBEDDED);
                        //or even
                        renderer.getFontResolver().addFont("fonts\\TAHOMA.TTF", true);{code}

and in document

{code}<font style=\"letter-spacing: 0px; color: #000000; font-size: 10px; font-family: Tahoma; font-weight:bold; \"><strong>bold test</strong></font>{code}

It just won't get bold.. Works fine with default font...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
                        • 9. Re: Flying Saucer encoding problem
                          PhHein
                          Welcome to the forum. Please don't post in threads that are long dead and don't hijack other threads. When you have a question, start your own topic. Feel free to provide a link to an old post that may be relevant to your problem.

I'm locking this thread now.