This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2009 11:41 AM by 807588 RSS

Collection available to all the classes

807588 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I am just wondering if I can have a collection of an object and that collection is made available to all the classes rather than creating that collection again and again. For example I am deserializing an object from the file in one of the class, how can I make that object available to all the classes, I don’t want to read it again and again. This can be done easily when using java servlet, but my application is standalone, so is there any way of achieving this?

Any idea will be appreciated.

Many Thanks,
  • 1. Re: Collection available to all the classes
    577611 Newbie
    Make it public static.
  • 2. Re: Collection available to all the classes
    807588 Newbie
    Sorry make what public static?

Say i have got three classes:
    Public class Word(){

private String word;
    private String pos;

public Word(String word,String pos ){

this.word = word;
    this.pos=pos;
    }
    }
    HashSet<Word> w = new HashSet<Word>();
    Word w = new Word("run","verb");
    w.add(w);
    how can i make collection w to be available to every other class in the project?

Edited by: veer2go on Mar 5, 2009 3:44 AM

Edited by: veer2go on Mar 5, 2009 3:45 AM
  • 3. Re: Collection available to all the classes
    577611 Newbie
    Collection "w" should be public static. This must be declared at the class level.
    public static HashSet<Word> w = new HashSet<Word>();
  • 4. Re: Collection available to all the classes
    807588 Newbie
    Yeah Thanks mate, do u think, this approach is better or passing the collection through the parameters is better?
  • 5. Re: Collection available to all the classes
    JoachimSauer Journeyer
    veer2go wrote:
    Yeah Thanks mate, do u think, this approach is better or passing the collection through the parameters is better?
    That question is opening a huge can of worms.

Normally I'd say avoid the static version as much as possible. Pass the Set to all objects that need it.

This could lead to the Set being passed through many levels of calls, 'though. This usually means that your classes are not isolated enough and need to be refactored.

So both solutions can become quite ugly and writing a clean one takes some experience.
  • 6. Re: Collection available to all the classes
    807588 Newbie
    JoachimSauer wrote:
    veer2go wrote:
    That question is opening a huge can of worms.

Normally I'd say avoid the static version as much as possible. Pass the Set to all objects that need it.

This could lead to the Set being passed through many levels of calls, 'though. This usually means that your classes are not isolated enough and need to be refactored.

So both solutions can become quite ugly and writing a clean one takes some experience.
    +1

The assumption that all classes need to see this collection is to be challenged. It's usually made in order to avoid working out exactly what needs the object in question
  • 7. Re: Collection available to all the classes
    577611 Newbie
    Declaring it as static is simpler. That's all.

Also remember that passing the Set object to methods does not mean you are creating copies of it.
  • 8. Re: Collection available to all the classes
    807588 Newbie
    I have got set of GUI's say about 2, so i am abit confused, what to use? i like the idea of public static, but then gain it might lead to some problem. At the moment i am just passing the object through the parameters, but i think for that i had to create some extra methods.

Edited by: veer2go on Mar 5, 2009 4:19 AM
  • 9. Re: Collection available to all the classes
    JoachimSauer Journeyer
    veer2go wrote:
    I have got set of GUI's say about 2, so i am abit confused, what to use? i like the idea of public static, but then gain it might lead to some problem. At the moment i am just passing the object through the parameters, but i think for that i had to create some extra methods.
    If you've got two UI components that show the same data, then create a model object that contains all the data that you want to display. In your case that could just be the Set. Then pass around that model.

Advantages over just passing around the Set:
    * The type tells you what the content is to be used for
    * You can add more fields/change the implementation later on if necessary
    * You can add higher-level methods to modify the model.
  • 10. Re: Collection available to all the classes
    807588 Newbie
    rksharma wrote:
    Simpler than what?
  • 11. Re: Collection available to all the classes
    807588 Newbie
    georgemc wrote:
    rksharma wrote:
    Simpler than what?
    Well, simple-minded.