This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2009 1:49 PM by 807589 RSS

How do i implement RMI on 2 computers (LAN) easily??

807589 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello everybody experts and beginners like me, I would like to know please, how active this options, explorer window for rmi,etc, presented below:
http://rmi.netbeans.org/project/rmi/doc/UserView.html

or how make an rmi aplication with a kind of wizard, that help me in the develop.
I dont know anything about RMI, so help me to understand:
- what tools do I need???
- how to implement the aplications on 2 PCs( with linux)
- should i develop 2 programs for each PC??
- how execute all the aplication without netbeans??? i mean the users gotta execute the programs(1server and 1 client) without having netbeans installed !!!!!!
- is it possible to run the aplication on 2 computers over the internet???

And if u know about an aplication like this, i would like to watch how does it works?? and make my own aplication.

Waiting for ur help.

Thanxs for ur patient !!!!
  • 1. Re: How do i implement RMI on 2 computers (LAN) easily??
    jwenting Journeyer
    Learn Java. Without that you're never going to succeed in anything to do with RMI.
    Next get a decent understanding of what you want to do, it's quite clear that you don't have that.
  • 2. Re: How do i implement RMI on 2 computers (LAN) easily??
    807589 Newbie
    I need to develop a project whose descrption as follows.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Create a tool for Windows that can remotely monitor other machines on the network. The tool should be able to report the current login status, cpu and memory usage, whether a particular application/process is active on any/all of machines, and if the machine is switched on or off. Best implemented using C++ and Win32 API.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am planning to use RMI concept for implementing manager and client. I will run RMI Server at the agent side which will report the CPU,Memory,LogIn, Process is active or not to the manager. So manager is RMI client. Agent will use JNI to access win32 APIs.

I know i can use SNMP. But it will increase the complexity of code will increase using that.

Let me know whether i can use RMI here or not.

I will provide any help on this.

Thanks,
    Ragavendra.
  • 3. Re: How do i implement RMI on 2 computers (LAN) easily??
    jwenting Journeyer
    See reply #1
  • 4. Re: How do i implement RMI on 2 computers (LAN) easily??
    800456 Newbie
    This is a good place to start:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/rmi/index.html
  • 5. Re: How do i implement RMI on 2 computers (LAN) easily??
    807589 Newbie
    Thank u
  • 6. Re: How do i implement RMI on 2 computers (LAN) easily??
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    raghu001 wrote:
    I need to develop a project whose descrption as follows.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Create a tool for Windows that can remotely monitor other machines on the network. The tool should be able to report the current login status, cpu and memory usage, whether a particular application/process is active on any/all of machines, and if the machine is switched on or off. Best implemented using C++ and Win32 API.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am planning to use RMI concept for implementing manager and client. I will run RMI Server at the agent side which will report the CPU,Memory,LogIn, Process is active or not to the manager. So manager is RMI client. Agent will use JNI to access win32 APIs.
    Requirements are flawed. If the machine is not on the network, for whatever reason, is the only thing you can determine. If not on the network it might or might not be on or off.

Myself I do agree with its assertion that C++ is the best solution. Especially for the agent. Most of the functionality required is only available via OS calls. About the only thing that isn't would be the communications medium. Note that if it was implemented with WMI then one could easily use the Microsoft Operations Manager for the manager.