This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2004 11:19 AM by 807589 RSS

default timezone is wrong!

807589 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
On one computer in our development shop, java's notion of time is one hour behind. It seems that Java gets the wrong default timezone for that machine, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

All machines are running java 1.4.2_03 on WinXP SP1 with all latest updates as of 5/25/04. In the Windows Date/Time control panel on all machines, timezone is set to "(GMT-0:800) Pacific Time (US & Canada); Tijuana" and the "Automatically Adjust for Daylight Savings Time" box is checked. It is May May 26, so daylight savings time is in effect. The Windows clock in the lower right corner reads the same time on all machines.

Running the code:
TimeZone tz = TimeZone.getDefault();
System.out.println("the default timezone is " + tz.getDisplayName(true, TimeZone.LONG));
System.out.println("the default timezone ID is " + tz.getID());
System.out.println("useDaylightTime = " + tz.useDaylightTime());
On the "bad" machine produces:
the default timezone is GMT-08:00
the default timezone ID is GMT-08:00
useDaylightTime = false
All other machines produce
the default timezone is Pacific Daylight Time
the default timezone ID is America/Los_Angeles
useDaylightTime = true
Why is the timezone on the "bad" machine "GMT-08:00" instead of "America/LosAngeles"?

(I've also verified that the default Locale on all machines is the same).

Any help would be appreciated.
  • 1. Re: default timezone is wrong!
    796447 Newbie
    So obviously something is different on that machine versus the others. Yet you claim they're all the same. So now, do we attempt to look at the odd box via osmosis, or what?
  • 2. Re: default timezone is wrong!
    800382 Newbie
    You can never trust what goes on in Tijuana...
  • 3. Re: default timezone is wrong!
    DrClap Expert
    All machines are running java 1.4.2_03 on WinXP SP1 with all latest updates as of 5/25/04.
    Except the bad machine, I suspect. What does
    java -version
    output?

PC²
  • 4. Re: default timezone is wrong!
    807589 Newbie
    It is the same java version on all machines.
    $ java -version
    java version "1.4.2_03"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_03-b02)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_03-b02, mixed mode)
  • 5. Re: default timezone is wrong!
    DrClap Expert
    And the test cases you showed, they were all produced by typing "java something" at the command line?
  • 6. Re: default timezone is wrong!
    807589 Newbie
    You can never trust what goes on in Tijuana...
    I don't know whether bsampieri was kidding, but he gave you the answer. Check that the "bad" machine's timezone is also Los Angeles and not Tijuana (even though both are GMT-8).

I will look up a reference for you regarding why Tijuana is broken.
  • 7. Re: default timezone is wrong!
    807589 Newbie
    I will look up a reference for you regarding why Tijuana is broken.
    Cancel that, it doesn't even apply to XP. :-(

• 8. Re: default timezone is wrong!
    807589 Newbie
    Cancel that, it doesn't even apply to XP. :-(
    Nonetheless, for lack of better ideas check whether the following registry section differs between machines

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation
  • 9. Re: default timezone is wrong!
    800382 Newbie
    Actually, I was kidding... however, it got me wondering... maybe Tijuana, according to Java, does not use Daylight Savings Time? ... It's supposed to... nah, that's probably not it...

If Java is reading the timezone as GMT-8, it's not going to use DST. It needs a specific zone ID, because not every place uses DST in the physical area of the zone.

You can set the default time zone via a parameter on the command-line... I forget the name of it, though.
  • 10. Re: default timezone is wrong!
    807589 Newbie
    To reiterate, all machines are set to the same timezone in the Windows Date&Time control panel. In that control panel, on all machines, the only option for Pacific Time is "(GMT-0:800) Pacific Time (US & Canada); Tijuana".

The "Tijuana" is a windows thing. "America/LosAngeles" is Java's iterpretation of that Windows setting, at least when Java & Windows are working correctly together.

I've been looking at the java source to see how they get the time zone from Windows. The source that comes with the JDK ends up (of course) calling a native method getSystemTimeZoneID(). I've downloaded the SCSL source to see what that native method is doing. It ends up looking at the registry key SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Control\\TimeZoneInformation (or System\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\TimeZoneInformation) to see what time zone Windows thinks it is in. Those registry keys are identical on the two machines. So, I'm still stumped.
  • 11. Re: default timezone is wrong!
    807589 Newbie
    And to reply to an earlier question, the test cases were all from typing "java Test" on the command line. Although that doesn't seem to matter - the problem most noticably shows up in all the logfile entries that we are writing from our app in Tomcat, and in the fact that timestamps on rows inserted into mysql are an hour off from when java thinks it put them in. Java is an hour behind all the other s/w running on the machine (mysql, Apache, Windows).
  • 12. Re: default timezone is wrong!
    807589 Newbie
    Also, searching for the write-up on that PST/Tijuana problem I hit the following item. Check the section titled "Platform Time Zone Detection on Microsoft Windows".

http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/1.4.0_04/relnotes.html

The way I read it that "global system setting" thing is buggy and is not necessarily in step with what you see on the Control Panel. The described symptoms match what you're seeing.

The documented case doesn't match your situation exactly, but do try changing the time zone to something else and back again.
  • 13. Re: default timezone is wrong!
    807589 Newbie
    Tried setting timezone to Tokyo (which does not observer daylight savings time), then back to Pacific. Problem still present. Tried setting to Mountian time zine (which does observer daylight saving) and back - problem still present.

One interesting thing: on the "bad" machine, java always shows the timezone in the generic GMT +/- offset format. On a good machine, java is able to translate into the "America/Los_Angeles" format. Just to check, I explicly set the timezone on the bad machine (with
    TimeZone.setDefault(TimeZone.getTimeZone("America/Los_Angeles"));
    and then the bad machine does display the correct time and timezone.

So, somehow it is not able to use what it gets back from Windows to correctly look up the "America/Los_Angeles" style timezone, so it falls back to the GMT+-offset format.

I verified that the java installations are identical on all machines (I zipped up the one on the bad machine, and did a file-by-file byte compare to one on a good machine).
  • 14. Re: default timezone is wrong!
    807589 Newbie
    Any idea what the global system setting "Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes." is? Is that what gets set when one checks the box in the Date/Time control panel? And, what is the registry key for it? I'll investigate those....
1 2 3 4 Previous Next