4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2008 1:43 PM by 791266

Reading Characters From Car Number Plate

hi ,

In my application i need to read the car number from Number Plate.

For that i used OCR to read the characters from car image.
      I can read the characters from the image if the images very clear.

If the Car number is in some different format i couldn't read the exact number ,instead i'm getting some unwanted characters.

the following is my code

BufferedImage image = ImageIO.read(new File("2018.jpg"));
      image = image.getSubimage(100,120,200,120);

String s = new OCR().recognizeCharacters(image);
      Please give me some suggestion.
        • 1. Re: Reading Characters From Car Number Plate
          Clean the license plate ;)

Seriously. You are pretty vague, and this doesn't sound like a java programming question. Maybe the library that you are using has a mailing list or forum?
          • 2. Re: Reading Characters From Car Number Plate
            Which OCR API are you talking about? Sun's JDK doesn't have one.

It might be worth the effort to post this question at the website/forum/mailinglist of the manfacturer of that OCR API.
            • 3. Re: Reading Characters From Car Number Plate
              jwenting
              and don't forget that the image may well contain more text than just the license number...

Most license plates are placed in a bracket with the dealer name and address, US plates have the name of the state they're issued in (and so possibly do other countries), EU plates have the international code for the country they're issued in, some countries (like Germany) have stickers on them to indicate the exact issueing location and/or latest government mandated checks on the car), etc. etc.
              • 4. Re: Reading Characters From Car Number Plate
                jwenting wrote:
                and don't forget that the image may well contain more text than just the license number...

Most license plates are placed in a bracket with the dealer name and address, US plates have the name of the state they're issued in (and so possibly do other countries), EU plates have the international code for the country they're issued in, some countries (like Germany) have stickers on them to indicate the exact issueing location and/or latest government mandated checks on the car), etc. etc.
                ... and you might also see a Swedish license plate in another country. We like to travel (but why bring the car?)