10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2007 12:54 AM by 807603 RSS

does DataInputStream support Mark() and Reset()?

Hi,

Does anyone know if DataInputStream supports teh Mark() and Reset() functions.

immediate help requested.
      10q.
      regards
      rr
        • 1. Re: does DataInputStream support Mark() and Reset()?
          Duplicate post:

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=603891

� {�                                                                                                                                                                                   
          • 2. Re: does DataInputStream support Mark() and Reset()?
            For those who's time is precious and cant go thru all the replies in the post. (for such people would look just for the Subject ).

Not for those who have lavish tiem to make irrelevent comments.

Thank q 4 ur attention.
            regards
            RR
            • 3. Re: does DataInputStream support Mark() and Reset()?
              For those who's time is precious and cant go thru all
              the replies in the post. (for such people would look
              just for the Subject ).

Not for those who have lavish tiem to make irrelevent
              comments.

Thank q 4 ur attention.
              regards
              RR
              Unfortunately for you, you do not get to dictate which comments are irrelevant. And, if you scan through these fora, you will discover that people who are here helping do not enjoy finding the same questions multiple times.

IMO, this is a duplicate post.

� {�                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
              • 4. Re: does DataInputStream support Mark() and Reset()?
                Forgot to mention ... you will notice that I did provide a link to the first thread, so that anyone with lavish time can go there to help you.

� {�                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
                • 5. Re: does DataInputStream support Mark() and Reset()?
                  Unfortunately for you, you do not get to dictate
                  which comments are irrelevant. And, if you scan
                  through these fora, you will discover that people who
                  are here helping do not enjoy finding the same
                  questions multiple times.

IMO, this is a duplicate post.
                  ofcourse i get to dictate it as far as my post is considerd. to the second comment ...

while (1){
                  read my previous answer
                  }

and if can take an advice, stop fooling around like this and passing comments every where. i saw ur history - absolutely of no important fields.

and not to mention .... thank u for the help of givng the previous link, but if u got any idea.... that doesnt help me at all.

RR
                  • 6. Re: does DataInputStream support Mark() and Reset()?
                    Look in the API you stupid idiot and stop talking sh1t to those who help you for free here.
                    And stop making duplicate posts.
                    • 7. Re: does DataInputStream support Mark() and Reset()?
                      and if can take an advice, stop fooling around like
                      this and passing comments every where. i saw ur
                      history - absolutely of no important fields.
                      You are as stupid as you sound. I never needed to do it before, but I think I need to seize this thread. It's mine now. Sez King Rene the Last.
                      • 8. Re: does DataInputStream support Mark() and Reset()?
                        and if can take an advice, stop fooling around like
                        this and passing comments every where. i saw ur
                        history - absolutely of no important fields.

and not to mention .... thank u for the help of givng
                        the previous link, but if u got any idea.... that
                        doesnt help me at all.
                        It's not fooling around. It's actually very good that some one posts information about double/cross posts, do also take another look in his history, he does answer questions as well.

/Kaj
                        • 9. Re: does DataInputStream support Mark() and Reset()?
                          Here is the answer (a thread full of sniping helps nobody):

DataInputStream may or may not support mark/reset depending on the underlying InputStream that was used to create it.

You can call marksupported() on the DataInputStream to determine if it supports it. If it doesn't, you will get an IOException if you call reset() on the stream.

If you have some InputStream that doesn't support mark/reset, you can wrap it in a BufferedInputStream, which will then provide mark/reset capability to the stream.

For example, say you have a custom input stream class that doesn't support mark/reset, you can wrap it like so to wind up with a DataInputStream that supports it:

InputStream is = new CustomInputStream();
                          BufferedInputStream bis = new BufferedInputStream(is);
                          DataInputStream dis = new DataInputStream(bis);
                          • 10. Re: does DataInputStream support Mark() and Reset()?
                            bbahner wrote:
                            Here is the answer (a thread full of sniping helps nobody):
                            He was breaking forum etiquette and was politely and appropriately told. He was then quite rude and received the appropriate reply. Speaking of forum etiquette, resurrecting dead threads is a no-no, and so is posting code without code tags. You're not helping the OP (original poster) who is long gone and has not been seen in the forum for over 2 years. If you are going to chastize us, please learn the rules here first.