This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2007 12:05 AM by 807605 RSS

Connecting to SQL server and create database

807605 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm looking to simplify the database configuration process for the user of my application. With a fresh installation of MySQL, there are no usable databases so I have to create my own for my application. Am I able to execute statements to create a database and table, or can I only make a database connection if the database already exists?

Here is my method for connecting:
    private void setupDatabase ()
    {
        UserProperties props = new UserProperties ();
        String [] statements = {"CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS music",
        "DROP TABLE IF EXISTS library",
        "CREATE TABLE library ( artist varchar (30) DEFAULT '', title varchar (30) DEFAULT '', path varchar (255), length int DEFAULT 0, id INT UNIQUE AUTO_INCREMENT, PRIMARY KEY (id) ) TYPE=INNODB"};

try
        {
            progressLabel.setText ("Connecting to database...");
            downloadProgress.setIndeterminate (true);
            Connection connection = Database.setupConnection ();

progressLabel.setText ("Configuring database...");
            Statement stmt = connection.createStatement (ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_SENSITIVE, ResultSet.CONCUR_READ_ONLY);
            for (int i = 0; i < statements.length; i++)
            {
                String sql = statements;
PreparedStatement pstmt = connection.prepareStatement (sql);
pstmt.executeQuery ();
Database.closePreparedStatement (pstmt);
}
Database.closeStatement (stmt);
Database.closeConnection (connection);
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
JOptionPane.showMessageDialog (null,"There was an error in configuring your MySQL databse.\n\nPlease check your network connection. "
+ " Contact the vendor if the problem persists.", "Connection Error",
JOptionPane.ERROR_MESSAGE);
}

}

• 1. Re: Connecting to SQL server and create database
    807605 Newbie
    So what is the output after u execute your code?
  • 2. Re: Connecting to SQL server and create database
    807605 Newbie
    java.sql.SQLException: Can not issue data manipulation statements with executeQuery().
            at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:910)
            at com.mysql.jdbc.Statement.checkForDml(Statement.java:409)
            at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeQuery(PreparedStatement.java:1344)
            at MusicList.setupDatabase(MusicList.java:361)
            at MusicList.access$400(MusicList.java:18)
            at MusicList$Task.doInBackground(MusicList.java:180)
            at MusicList$Task.doInBackground(MusicList.java:160)
            at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(SwingWorker.java:279)
            at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
            at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
            at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(SwingWorker.java:319)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:885)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:907)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
  • 3. Re: Connecting to SQL server and create database
    807605 Newbie
    Also executing:
                for (int i = 0; i < statements.length; i++)
                {
                    //String sql = statements;
    stmt.execute (statements[i]);
    }
     gives me 
    java.sql.SQLException: No database selected
    at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:946)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:2934)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:1616)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:1708)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.execSQL(Connection.java:3249)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.execSQL(Connection.java:3178)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.Statement.execute(Statement.java:711)
    at MusicList.setupDatabase(MusicList.java:360)
    at MusicList.access$400(MusicList.java:18)
    at MusicList$Task.doInBackground(MusicList.java:180)
    at MusicList$Task.doInBackground(MusicList.java:160)
    at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(SwingWorker.java:279)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
    at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(SwingWorker.java:319)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:885)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:907)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

• 4. Re: Connecting to SQL server and create database
    807605 Newbie
    use execute(), or executeUpdate() to issue data manipulation statements.
    executeQuery() is only meant for SELECT queries (i.e. queries that return a
    result set).
  • 5. Re: Connecting to SQL server and create database
    807605 Newbie
    So I guess it is creating the database, but because my Connection isn't created with a database name (since one doesn't exist at the time), when I try to execute the statements such as creating the table, it can't because a database isn't selected. I'm assuming after creating the database, I have to then create a new connection with the database name in the URL variable and then do the table creation?