This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2010 2:51 AM by jwenting RSS

Data Transfer Objects

269490 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Is it safe to assume that Data Transfer Objects should be populated by Business Objects that are local to entity beans or whatever is being used to populate them?
  • 1. Re: Data Transfer Objects
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    DTOs are used by whatever uses them. The data in a DTO is allowed to be modified whatever modifies it.

Business logic (as defined by the needs of the application not a specific application layer) define how and where that occurs.

Other than that "safe" doesn't have much to do with DTOs themselves.
  • 2. Re: Data Transfer Objects
    269490 Newbie
    jschell wrote:
    DTOs are used by whatever uses them. The data in a DTO is allowed to be modified whatever modifies it.

Business logic (as defined by the needs of the application not a specific application layer) define how and where that occurs.

Other than that "safe" doesn't have much to do with DTOs themselves.
    So if the point of DTOs is to reduce network traffic, why would you initially populate them using a remote object? Wouldn't that just defeat the purpose of them?

Edited by: ttb999 on 5-Nov-2010 1:01 PM
  • 3. Re: Data Transfer Objects
    So if the point of DTOs is to reduce network traffic, why would you initially populate them using a remote object?
    That doesn't have anything to do with what I said.
  • 4. Re: Data Transfer Objects
    269490 Newbie
    jschell wrote:
    So if the point of DTOs is to reduce network traffic, why would you initially populate them using a remote object?
    Well that was the jist of my question.
  • 5. Re: Data Transfer Objects
    ttb999 wrote:
    jschell wrote:
    Your statement has a historical perspective which probably doesn't mean much in current DTO usage.

Originally RMI was promoted as a a 'method' interface. As such you would have had the equivalent of a DTO with setter/getter for each attribute. Each setter/getter would invoke a remote procedure call to the server.

Thus a data object with 5 attributes would cause 5 network calls to 'populate' the attributes.

That was vastly inefficient.

Consequently the first DTO type (which was not called a DTO) was promoted as a way to avoid that.

If you want you can look up "Remote Procedure Call" (RPC) which would have been the origin of where the 'method' idiom originated.
  • 6. Re: Data Transfer Objects
    jwenting Journeyer
    jschell wrote:
    ttb999 wrote:
    jschell wrote:
    Your statement has a historical perspective which probably doesn't mean much in current DTO usage.

Originally RMI was promoted as a a 'method' interface. As such you would have had the equivalent of a DTO with setter/getter for each attribute. Each setter/getter would invoke a remote procedure call to the server.

Thus a data object with 5 attributes would cause 5 network calls to 'populate' the attributes.

That was vastly inefficient.

Consequently the first DTO type (which was not called a DTO) was promoted as a way to avoid that.

If you want you can look up "Remote Procedure Call" (RPC) which would have been the origin of where the 'method' idiom originated.
    And quite apart from performance, populating a local object from the remote prevents disruption of the local data in case the network connection is (temporarilly) lost.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points