6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2013 3:33 PM by Mario.Cadiz - Oracle RSS

The admin server AdminServer cannot be restarted.

ILya Cyclone
      Hi OTN,
      I face this problem really often.

In WebLogic console I have done some changes with security realms.
      Adter I click "Save" it says I nned to restart server for changes to take effect.

I click go Change Center -> View changes and restarts -> Restart Checklist and see AdminServer here.

I check it (the checkbox) and click Restart. In reply I have the following message:
      The admin server AdminServer cannot be restarted.
      All of the servers selected are currently in a state which is incompatible with this operation or are not associated with a running Node Manager or you are not authorized to perform the action requested. No action will be performed.>

What should I do with it?
      Thanks.

WLS 10.3
        • 1. Re: The admin server AdminServer cannot be restarted.
          Ravish Mody_MiddlewareMagic
          Hi,

Here it seems that you care trying to restart the Admin Server, hence would like to ask few questions

- Are you using Node Manger to start the Admin Server.
          - If not, then you can try to re-start the Admins server using the start-up script startWebLogic.sh/startWebLogic.cmd and see if that helps you out.
          - Also make sure that you have the right to start and stop the servers.

Regards,
          Ravish Mody
          Middleware Magic | Come, Join Us and Experience The Magic…
          http://middlewaremagic.com/weblogic/
          • 2. Re: The admin server AdminServer cannot be restarted.
            Pierluigi Vernetto
            also, reading this documentation can help http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E12840_01/wls/docs103/nodemgr/overview.html
            See section "How Node Manager Restarts an Administration Server"
            • 3. Re: The admin server AdminServer cannot be restarted.
              Hello ILya,

I understand that you have made a change in one of your security realms and then Clicked on the "Save", Which in turn prompted for restarting the server for changes to take effect. And upon trying to re-start the Admin service you get a message : All of the servers selected are currently in a state which is incompatible with this operation or are not associated with a running Node Manager or you are not authorized to perform the action requested. No action will be performed.

To resolve this : Please go to the Environment -> Servers and select the Admin Server and Stop it First, once its completely stopped, then start it. You should now see the settings updated after the Admin server comes up.
              • 4. Re: The admin server AdminServer cannot be restarted.
                Hi ,

After making changes just bring the server down and try to restart the server using Startweblogic.sh or Startweblogic.cmd.You will be prompted for the username and password if you are not using boot.properties.

Regards,
                Preet
                • 5. Re: The admin server AdminServer cannot be restarted.
                  ILya Cyclone
                  I am using this method, but it just seems strange to me that a server requests reboot, but can't perform it.
                  • 6. Re: The admin server AdminServer cannot be restarted.
                    Mario.Cadiz - Oracle
                    Same issue was found on WLS1036.
                    Scenario with AdminServer and ms1, no cluster.
                    - created a DS and targeted to ms1.
                    - ms1 is up & running and tests with DS are OK

Test 1. Changing URL to DS
                    - once the URL was modified, WLS thrown these messages:
                    MS1: "All changes have been activated. However 1 items must be restarted for the changes to take effect."
                    MS2: "Settings updated successfully."

- in the Restart Checklist, the JDBC resource is ready to be restarted. The DS is targeted to ms1
                    - select the DS and click over Restart button and we got the message : "All of the servers selected are currently in a state which is incompatible with this operation or are not associated with a running Node Manager or you are not authorized to perform the action requested. No action will be performed."
                    - DS was restarted manually but the item in the Restart Checklist remains until the MS is restarted.

This issue was due to a bug on product. Please request to support patch 14504923.