5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 10:56 PM by 714579

Oracle Service Cannot Be Started

In order to keep my laptop startup time minimum I was keeping the Oracle services at manual and stopped at all times. I used to only start them when I needed to access my local database or OWB repository since I was mostly connecting to company servers. Today, after 6 months or so I wanted to start the Oracle services again in order to be able to install ODI and try it out. When go to administrative tools -> Services and try to start the Database service I get this message

Could not start the OracleServiceORCL service on Local Computer. Error 299: only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed.

And when I try to start OracleDBConsole I get the message

Could not start the OracleDBConsoleORCL service on Local Computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or the control request in a timely fashion.

Things started to get frustrating, So I went to command prompt and typed
      lsnrctl
      start
      and listener was up and running, then..
      sqlplus /nolog
      connect /as sysdba
      and there was this error box (windows) appeared with the message:
      The application or DLL C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\bin\ORASPAWN.DLL is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.
      And at the same time in the command prompt box there was this message
      ERROR: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

Does anyone has an idea how I can my Oracle DB up and running again.

FYI:
      Windows XP Pro (32bit) with SP3 and latest updates
      Oracle 10gr2 with patch 10.2.0.4
      OWB 10gr2 with patch 10.2.0.4
      Java JRE 6 22th update

Edited by: cakire82 on Nov 8, 2010 5:37 PM

Edited by: cakire82 on Nov 8, 2010 5:52 PM
        • 1. Re: Oracle Service Cannot Be Started
          Aman....
          The protocol adaptor error message is coming because your db service OracleserviceORCL is not started yet. What you can do is try to recreate teh service using oradim command. Using this, you would need to delete teh service and recreate it. This should take care of the service non-startup error. But the bigger worry is the dll file error that you are getting. Did you try to check what's the reason that you have got the dll corrupted ?

Aman....
          • 2. Re: Oracle Service Cannot Be Started
            Billy~Verreynne
            cakire82 wrote:

and there was this error box (windows) appeared with the message:
            The application or DLL C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\bin\ORASPAWN.DLL is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.
            This is a Windows kernel error - saying that is it unable to load a DLL into memory. As the Oracle process needs the services/interface provided by that DLL, it cannot proceed without it. The Oracle +.exe+ process will therefore fail as a result with an error (but this would be a symptom of the actual error - the fact that the DLL could not load).

Strange though that you got the error you did... and I cannot recall offhand ever seeing an oraspawn library on the Linux side. Could be Win32 specific..

If you know how the binary header of a Win32 executable looks like, you can edit the DLL and have a look at it (DLLs are also executables, minus a data segment and have a similar header to an EXE).

You can run chkdsk from a command console to check for disk and file corruption. Or it could be a case of accidentally having replaced the original DLL with another file, or having truncated the DLL (0 byte file size).

You can try and find the original DLL on the source installation CD (assuming the installation is not in CAB format - cannot recall Oracle installations in the old days using it). Pop in the CD, open a command console and change dir to the CD root - then use dir/s/b oraspawn.* to search for it. It could be in compressed format as file oraspawn.dl_ - you then need to use the expand command to uncompress it to its original format and replace your broken DLL.

Of course, it could be a lot easier to simply uninstall and re-install Oracle.
            • 3. Re: Oracle Service Cannot Be Started
              CKPT
              Hi,

DLL file was looking corrupted you can download that file from http://www.dll-error.net/dll-file/oraspawn.dll.html and it is bug http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192731.
              better stop the service or restart the server and start the oracle service again.
              THanks
              • 4. Re: Oracle Service Cannot Be Started
                I have no idea how this DLL got corrupted. I have copied the oraspawn.dll from my friends laptop who also has the same version of everything I have with the same Oracle service name. Now, when I try to connect I only get the TNS adapter error. DLL error has disappeared.
                • 5. Re: Oracle Service Cannot Be Started
                  Anymore suggestions?