This content has been marked as final. Show 4 replies
If you want to develop web pages with Java, here are the rough steps.
It will take you quite some time:
* read a book on Java (Head First in Java is recommended).
* run a a number of the book's examples on the DOS command line
to get familiar with that before moving onto an IDE.
* Download and install the Eclipse IDE (its free).
* Practice writing small java projects in the IDE.
* read a book on JSP and Servlets (a JSP book typically covers both)
* Install apachie Tomcat (its free)
* configure Eclipse to work with Tomcat
* create a hello world JSP page in Eclipse and get it to display
* create a hello world servlet in Eclipse and get it to display
* Have the JSP page submit user input to the servlet.
Then, have the servlet process the input and put its results in request scope.
Then, have the servlet dispatch to the JSP page.
Then, have the JSP display the data.
* Read a book or on-line tutorial on JSTL
* Read a book on XHTML
* Read a book on JDBC
* Install a free database such as Oracle Lite (there are others)
and learn how to create a database table via its browser utility tool.
* Get your JSP page to submit data to the database via the servlet.
* Read up on MVC separation of concerns for creating a web application.
* learn how to create a war file to run your applicaiton in Tomcat independent of Eclipse.