This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2010 7:50 AM by BluShadow RSS

username and password ???

V prasad Pro
Currently Being Moderated
hi i have installed oracle 11g

may i know username and password please..??
  • 1. Re: username and password ???
    Hoek Guru
    You must be joking here....
  • 2. Re: username and password ???
    V prasad Pro
    no.. yar

i am working into sql developer tool
    when i am using sq developer tool its working..

when i am using SQl*PLUs its not working ..??
  • 3. Re: username and password ???
    WhiteHat Expert
    in order to connect using SQL developer, you would have had to enter a username/password at one point. Usually you set up these passwords when you install the database. Use the same one you've been using for SQL developer.
  • 4. Re: username and password ???
    sybrand_b Guru
    Please do not use 'It's not working' Always provide error messages. Always look up error messages in the online documentation before dumping them here.

THANK YOU

----------
    Sybrand Bakker
    Senior Oracle DBA
  • 5. Re: username and password ???
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    ORACLEPLSQL wrote:
    hi i have installed oracle 11g

may i know username and password please..??
    Exactly what did you install and how?

Did you install Oracle Instant Client? Did you install the full Oracle Client? Did you install Oracle Standard/Enterprise Edition? Did you run dbca (Database Creation Assistant) as part of the SE/EE install? What database template was used? (this may include the SCOTT demo schema)

If you do not own the database, talk to the dba. If the database sits on your PC then you need to logon to the database as sysdba and create a schema for yourself to use. Basic steps would be to as the oracle o/s user:
    1. via a command console run sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
    2. issue a "+create user myschema identified by mypassword default tablespace users quota unlimited on users+"
    3. provide the basic grants needed, e.g. "+grant create session, create table, create trigger, create sequence, create procedure, create view to myschema+"
  • 6. Re: username and password ???
    817084 Newbie
    Im having the same problem.....i got the oracle 11g r2 setup from my friend....installed it as Enterprise edition....now while using sql plus i cannot login...

ERROR:
    ORA-01017 invalid username/password : login denied

Im a beginner so let me know if there is nothing in the password field when we type password?

Thanx!
  • 7. Re: username and password ???
    Solomon Yakobson Guru
    814081 wrote:
    Im having the same problem
    Part of Oracle install asks you to choose passwords. You had to remember them/write them down. Anyway, you could login as oracle owner and run orapwd. Then you will be able to
    connect / as sysdba
    Then you will be able to change passwords of any Oracle user.

SY.
  • 8. Re: username and password ???
    817084 Newbie
    Thanx for the reply SY.

I guess username implies Global Database Name & password implies Database Password...i used them but the same error shows up........I ran orapwd but it comes and goes in a flash.....im running my pc as admin...

Let me know if we type password in sql plus we see absolutely nothing coz i had an impression that my keyboard not working in password field....
  • 9. Re: username and password ???
    Solomon Yakobson Guru
    814081 wrote:
    I ran orapwd but it comes and goes in a flash.....
    orapwd is not a GUI utility. You need to run it from command window:
    orapwd
    Usage: orapwd file=<fname> password=<password> entries=<users> force=<y/n> nosysdba=<y/n>

where
        file - name of password file (mand),
        password - password for SYS (mand),
        entries - maximum number of distinct DBA,
        force - whether to overwrite existing file (opt),
        nosysdba - whether to shut out the SYSDBA logon (opt for Database Vault only
    ).
      There are no spaces around the equal-to (=) character.
    SY.
  • 10. Re: username and password ???
    817084 Newbie
    Thanx SY......i dont know how my username became 'system' though i never used the word during the whole installation......anyways i used that as username,it worked fine for a few times but now im having another error at login

ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

i guess its because i stopped Oracle service at startup as it was slowing down my PC to no response.....please help
  • 11. Re: username and password ???
    817084 Newbie
    i dont know how my username became 'system' though i never used the word during the whole installation......anyways i used that as username,it worked fine for a few times but now im having another error at login

ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

i guess its because i stopped Oracle service at startup as it was slowing down my PC to no response.....please help
  • 12. Re: username and password ???
    jsoetens Newbie
    I'll presume your running your setup on Windows (PC):

Go to services.msc and check if the Oracle services are started, if not start them (ignore the JobScheduler).

Make sure that your user is part of oradba group, if not add your user!

Go to a command box and do the following:

C:\sqlplus / as sysdba
    SQL> create user test identified by test;
    SQL> grant dba to test;

This should allow you to log on with that user on SQL Developer.

Now go check the documentation or provide us with more information :)

http://tahiti.oracle.com
  • 13. Re: username and password ???
    William Robertson Oracle ACE
    I don't think there is any 'oradba group' requirement for 11g on Windows.
  • 14. Re: username and password ???
    William Robertson Oracle ACE
    i dont know how my username became 'system' though i never used the word during the whole installation
    SYS and SYSTEM (amongst others) are default accounts created during installation. The installer prompts you for passwords. You can also use
    sqlplus / as sysdba
    to connect as SYS if you are the person that installed Oracle. (There are a load of authentication options that I'm not too familiar with as I'm not a DBA, but I'm guessing you won't have used them if you just installed Oracle on your PC.) Once you are connected as a DBA user, you can create your own user and log on as that.
    Let me know if we type password in sql plus we see absolutely nothing coz i had an impression that my keyboard not working in password field...
    There's no 'password field' in SQL*Plus 11g. Did you mean SQL Developer?
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points