This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2010 10:32 AM by jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias RSS

represent the real time localization and RFID

813248 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear java friends
Im student and I’m developing a RFID project using an active tags. My objective in this work is to represent the real time localization of the tags inside a specific plan by calculate the TDoA. Was easy the right the formula however I had hard time to create the plan and I don’t know what way I have to take. I m asking how can I represent my coordinate inside a real plan related to some area like house or factory for example. Can I use some cartography API as GEOTOOLS because they have the same principals? Can I convert the same principals used with the GPS mapping in the RFID plan representation?
  • 1. Re: represent the real time localization and RFID
    796440 Guru
    Post only once. Crossposting is rude, as it leads to people wasting their time repeating what others have already said.

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2128903&tstart=0
    represent the real time localization and RFID
  • 2. Re: represent the real time localization and RFID
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    810245 wrote:
    Can I use some cartography API as GEOTOOLS because they have the same principals? Can I convert the same principals used with the GPS mapping in the RFID plan representation?
    RFID requires a reader.
    Normally the read doesn't localize anything.

The reader is the localization point.

Now with more than one reader with multiple reads one could calculate a moving point via triangulation. Maybe. Whether that is possible depends on what a RFID reader actually does.

Without that all you can do is localize to the single reader.

Each reader would need one of the following
    1. A fixed point reader has a fixed point GPS signal. This could be entered manually using a portable GPS reader. The more accurate the better and probably some guess work since a "building" is pretty small compared to the accuracy of non-military GPS locators.
    2. A movable reader would need its own GPS locator and some way to update its position as it moved.

None of the above is likely to have anything to do with java, or will have very little to do with it.

However if you collect the GPS points then you could then map them.

As a student that is probably more effort than it worth unless the project is specifically supposed to be related to GPS. If not just assign a x,y coordinate to each reader. Then plot. And superimpose the "building" on top of that chart.
  • 3. Re: represent the real time localization and RFID
    jwenting Journeyer
    Is there in fact anything to localise at all in the data the reader receives from the RFID chip?
    Usually there isn't and all that's contained in the data package the chip transmits is an integer number of some length (or for more advanced ones a series of such numbers) which can be used as keys into a database to retrieve more information.
  • 4. Re: represent the real time localization and RFID
    DarrylBurke Guru Moderator
    Moderator advice: Don't double post.
    Moderator action: Removed the cross post from Training / Learning / Certification

db
  • 5. Re: represent the real time localization and RFID
    jwenting wrote:
    Is there in fact anything to localise at all in the data the reader receives from the RFID chip?
    RFID is passive. The information is static. So location information would need to be produced from the reader.
  • 6. Re: represent the real time localization and RFID
    jwenting Journeyer
    jschell wrote:
    jwenting wrote:
    RFID is passive. The information is static. So location information would need to be produced from the reader.
    true. But I question the assumption that the information the reader receives from the RFID is in fact of a nature that requires localisation.
    It'll almost certainly be data that can do no more than facilitate a database lookup in order to retrieve the actual data (which may be of a nature that allows localisation of course).

But that's not the reader's job. The RFID reader just reads the RFID and passes the data it retrieves to a processing application.
    It's just an interface, and should be kept as stupid as possible.
    That application can have a need to localise whatever results from processing the data it gets from the reader (or more likely pass it on to some other system for displaying it to an end user, and only at that stage is localisation called for).

For example, a reader might read a pallet number in a warehouse, and send it to the central processing system to look up the pallet content.
    This cargo manifest is then displayed on a palmtop computer belonging to the person using the reader.
    The reader itself does not need to know whether the palmtop needs to show English, Russian, or Japanese, neither does the backend database.
    Instead the manifest is a series of product codes (and number of items/volume indications) which the user interface application uses to request localised product names from the product database.
  • 7. Re: represent the real time localization and RFID
    jwenting wrote:
    jschell wrote:
    jwenting wrote:
    true. But I question the assumption that the information the reader receives from the RFID is in fact of a nature that requires localisation....
    At this point I do not understand what you are talking about.

I am not even sure how to phrase my confusion at this point.

The OP makes the goal of the system clear. The system is not just a RFID reader and my presumption is that the OP understands enough about RFID to know this. As well as that the normal usage of RFID is not relevant to goals of this particular system.
  • 8. Re: represent the real time localization and RFID
    821744 Newbie
    Shenzhen vanch intelligent technology

Specialized RFID Manufacture in china.

We can provide many RFID solutions for our customers.

Jackie@vanch.net

Jackie
  • 9. Re: represent the real time localization and RFID
    user13429126 wrote:
    Shenzhen vanch intelligent technology

Specialized RFID Manufacture in china.

We can provide many RFID solutions for our customers.

Jackie@vanch.net

Jackie
    Your company should work at hiring more intelligent representatives since obviously you do not understand this thread.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points