3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2010 6:34 PM by Udo

    async error encountered

    FrontRow
      *** 2010-11-12 00:15:05.421
      async error encountered when answering new connection:
      NS Primary Error: TNS-12592: TNS:bad packet async error encountered when answering new connection:
      NS Primary Error: TNS-12592: TNS:bad packet
      *** 2010-11-12 00:30:03.911
      async error encountered when answering new connection:
      NS Primary Error: TNS-12592: TNS:bad packet async error encountered when answering new connection:
      NS Primary Error: TNS-12592: TNS:bad packet


      Started receiving these after a server reboot

      Oracle 10g on RHEL4


      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: async error encountered
          Udo
          Hello Keith,

          could you provide some additional information:
          - Database version details (10g - at least release and version would be nice)
          - J2EE Container type and version; location (same or different host as the database)
          - Listener version
          - What do you do when the error occurs?
          - Is any error coming up after a restart of the Listener?

          Then: Did your server restart have any special reason? (Major update somewhere?)

          There's a post in the database forum that suggests a known problem to be the cause: {thread:id=915507}

          Thanks,

          -Udo
          • 2. Re: async error encountered
            FrontRow
            We are running a .NET app running on a Windows 2003 server connecting to an Oracle 10g server running on RHEL4.

            We have been experiencing very high CPU using on the Oracle server that doesn't seem to be related to actual application usage. For example, the CPU will go from a constant 5% usage to 95% at 3pm in the afternoon and then drop back to 5% at 11:30pm; though the main use of the app is between 8-5.

            The only change is an app update, but that was a few weeks before we started seeing the CPU issue. We have also twice received an "ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exceeded" that was in conjunction with the CPU issue.
            So long story short, to troubleshoot the issue, I wanted to eliminate a possible OS issue by restarting the DB server. I did that last night and have been receiving the “async error” in my error logs since. The listener starts up fine and the application connects and is running without any other issues.

            lsinventory:

            Installed Top-level Products (2):

            Oracle Database 10g 10.2.0.1.0
            Oracle Database 10g Release 2 Patch Set 4 10.2.0.5.0a
            There are 2 products installed in this Oracle Home.


            There are no Interim patches installed in this Oracle Home.
            • 3. Re: async error encountered
              Udo
              Hello Keith,

              that sounds like you have several database related issues, but you don't use the APEX Listener or have an APEX related problem, so it seems you've posted to the wrong forum.
              I recommend posting again in the {forum:id=61} forum, where you'll find the dbas.
              The link above already pointed to a post in that forum. The metalink article referenced there could be interesting for your DB Listener issue.

              -Udo