This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2010 2:34 AM by 816530 RSS

Enabling Unicode setting for Oracle UCM 11g

816530 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello All,

I want to enable the setting for Unicode in Oracle UCM to true, so that it can identify the unicode characters (characters from international languages).

I suppose the setting can be done in <WLS_Home>/user_projects/domains/<domain_name>/ucm/cs/config.cfg.

But what is the entry to be added for this in config.cfg to enable Unicode for Oracle UCM.

Currently "Use Unicode" attribute is set to false in database connection details in Confiduration.

Thanks in Advance.
Dipesh
  • 1. Re: Enabling Unicode setting for Oracle UCM 11g
    Srinath Menon Guru
    Hi

here are a number of issues to consider when installing Content Server for international use. How you go about setting up your configuration depends on the database you will be using and the database character set.

During the installation of Content Server, if you select to have the installation create your database tables you are given a choice for "Unicode". Selecting Unicode will branch the installation to create database tables that use the "Unicode database scripts" and create NVARCHAR2/NVARCHAR fields, whereas the "standard database scripts" are used to create tables with VARCHAR2/VARCHAR fields. This difference can lead to post installation errors if your database encoding is not properly matched.

You should not select the "Unicode" option when running the installation scripts and using an Oracle database.

To setup an international environment, instead of using "Unicode", you will want to create an Oracle database that uses AL32UTF8 (the standard UTF-8 character encoding) and use the "standard database scripts" to create the tables.

To do this you will need to set your Oracle database encoding in advance of the Content Server installation. When you have an AL32UTF8 database you can install Content Server using the "standard database scripts" (not Unicode database scripts). See below in this article for more information on how to identify the encoding of your database.

Thanks
    Srinath
  • 2. Re: Enabling Unicode setting for Oracle UCM 11g
    816530 Newbie
    Hi Srinath,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you please provide me with link of Article.

while searching the characters for language in Oracle UCM CS other than English for metadata and full text search, it does not show the results.

So is there issue with Unicode being set to false in Oracle UCM or there is something else that i need to look into for?

Thanks
    Dipesh
  • 3. Re: Enabling Unicode setting for Oracle UCM 11g
    816530 Newbie
    Hi Srinath,

I have validated that the Oracle Database Encoding in our case is: WE8MSWIN1252

Do i need to update this encoding in order to have Unicode characters supported in Oracle UCM?

Thanks
    Dipesh
  • 4. Re: Enabling Unicode setting for Oracle UCM 11g
    Srinath Menon Guru
    Hi

I am not sure if the DB encoding can be changed after it has been installed . But what you have currently is not the right one for UCM to support international usage . It should be AL32UTF8 . Maybe just check with your DBA to confirm if it can be changed at all .

Thanks
    Srinath
  • 5. Re: Enabling Unicode setting for Oracle UCM 11g
    816530 Newbie
    Hi Srinath,

I got to know that to update encoding in Oracle DB the following command is executed to set encoding to AL32UTF8:

ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET AL32UTF8

But since currently we have WE8MSWIN1252 encoding set for Oracle DB, it gives me the below error:

ORA-12712: new character set must be a superset of old character set

What could be the way to update the Encoding for Oracle to AL32UTF8?

Thanks
    Dipesh
  • 6. Re: Enabling Unicode setting for Oracle UCM 11g
    816530 Newbie
    Hi Srinath,

I have updated the Oracle DB Encoding to AL32UTF8, after doing this, the full text index and search for international lang characters started working in Oracle UCM.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards
    Dipesh

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points