4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 2:22 PM by Bos

ODI Send mail SMTPRecipientsRefused (530, 'Authentication required')

Hi everybody,

I am trying to send e-mail from an authenticated smtp server, using the jython procedure available at support.oracle.com ([ID 424304.1]). I am receiving an error like SMTPRecipientsRefused: { ...recipients' address... : (530, 'Authentication required')} at the send message step. Can anyone help me understand what it is about?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: ODI Send mail SMTPRecipientsRefused (530, 'Authentication required')
          Sutirtha Roy
          This is a customized Jython procedure so it is better to ask Oracle Support about the error and it's resolution
          • 2. Re: ODI Send mail SMTPRecipientsRefused (530, 'Authentication required')
            Bos
            Hi,

Your email server can only accept email from the world (or from your Plone server) TO its domain, or it becomes a relay host and spammers take over. One solution is that the mail server might be able accept outbound email if you authenticate against it (see Site Setup, Mail Settings). Another solution is to explicitly tell your email server to accept (outbound) email relays from a specific ip address, such as your Plone box.

Simply defining your From address to be someone@mydomain.com might work in some cases
            • 3. Re: ODI Send mail SMTPRecipientsRefused (530, 'Authentication required')
              Thank you for your immediate replies.
              Sorry, I didn't understand the part "..or it becomes a relay host and spammers take over.."
              Yes, it is probably a restriction on the mail server, I can't log in using my account through the web browser. But I can send and receive mail from outside (like gmail) to my domain (from my account configured in outlook), and vice versa. Anyway, in my case, the from-address is something like someone@mydomain.com and the to-address is someoneelse@mydomain.com
              • 4. Re: ODI Send mail SMTPRecipientsRefused (530, 'Authentication required')
                Bos
                I didn't understand the part "..or it becomes a relay host and spammers take over.."

If you allow TO and FROM from your domain server, then your domain server will likely to be used as a relay for spammers etc. i.e your domain server will be used to send out spam (if they find it - and they probably will). When the spam police trace back the origins of the mail, it will be your domain server that they will find.

Emails generally do not get sent FROM your Domain server, they get sent via your mail out software (whatever it may be) TO the receivers Domain server.