This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2011 2:24 AM by 830522 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: What version of Java to use / where to get? I want listener to run.
    830522 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hi Udo,
    Got another question for you if I can. I have another computer but this one has Oracle 11g on it as well as XE. If I want Apex available to both on the same computer, do I still only install one instance of APEX or two? I know this sounds stupid but on a failed installation, I can only see it on XE not 11g (the installation failed but I can still see parts of the Apex page, though cannot logon). Hope I make sense..

Another thing, you're employed by Oracle right?
    thanks for your help.

Sam
  • 16. Re: What version of Java to use / where to get? I want listener to run.
    Udo Guru
    Hi Sam,

APEX is installed in the database, so you'll have one APEX installation per database instance. XE ships with an (older) APEX release, 11g can include an APEX installation (outdated as well) if you select it in your installation, which would be the case when you use the default installation parameters. You can upgrade to the recent APEX release in both cases.

To access those two APEX/DB instances, you need one separate Listener for each of them. If you want to have different "images" (e.g. necessary if you have different APEX versions), you'll have to have one context for each instance as well. You'll have to plan these contexts when you install APEX in your database, as the images prefix is one of the installation parameters (default would be +/i/+). If you forgot that or you use the default installations of XE/11g, you'll have to change the image prefix on at least one of your two instances. There is a script for that in the APEX installation package. Make sure to use the appropriate version of the installation package (i.e. the version that corresponds to the APEX version installed in your database).

As for the other question: No, I'm not employed by Oracle.

If you want/need more help on a specific issue, you may also open a new thread here or in the APEX forum, so other users might recognize the new issue and join in. ;)

-Udo
  • 17. Re: What version of Java to use / where to get? I want listener to run.
    830522 Newbie
    Hmm, sounds a bit too hard (sorry, I am used to SQL Server). I'll try to uninstall XE on this computer then, at least I have another computer that has a functional XE. At least I was able to uninstal APEX this morning.

The question about whether you're an employee of Oracle, amongst other things stems from what I've read on some of the other topics in the forum. Just you guys are exceptionally knowledgable and not sure if this is the right word, but in some cases also very defensive about Oracle (How do i uninstall OracleXE since there is no OraInst? But never mind, just curious. But do you think Oracle makes things more complicated then is necessary? I mean I like a challenge but the barrier just getting in almost deters you.. You almost feel like you have to be an engineer to get install the bloody thing..
    (BTW, like that guy in the other forum, I was completely flabbergasted by XE being in the Add/Remove Program in Control Panel .. )

Anyway, thanks for you help, sure I'll need to come back for more :-)
  • 18. Re: What version of Java to use / where to get? I want listener to run.
    830522 Newbie
    Hi Udo,
    Just one more thing before I start a new thread. But a little update first..after nearly pulling out all my hair over a problem about a prompt asking for a password for XDB user (which I finally solved after trying all the possibilities some people have suggested on another thread), I have a new problem.
    Why am I getting a 'Invalid Login Credential'? (for Apex Admin).
    I had the same problem on my other computer and after I followed the instructions in the manual. What's the problem? I even went back to change the password with the @apxchpwd command which showed the password was successfully changed. But when I login, I get the Invalid Login Credential. Did I misss something?

Thanks in advance. Yeah, you're in Germany or the US out of curiosity?

cheers
    Sam
  • 19. Re: What version of Java to use / where to get? I want listener to run.
    830522 Newbie
    Not sure where my earlier post went but in case I didnt load it properly, here's what I said:

Hi Udo,
    Just one more thing before I start a new thread. But a little update first..after nearly pulling out all my hair over a problem about a prompt asking for a password for XDB user (which I finally solved after trying all the possibilities some people have suggested on another thread), I have a new problem.
    Why am I getting a 'Invalid Login Credential'? (for Apex Admin).
    I had the same problem on my other computer and after I followed the instructions in the manual. What's the problem? I even went back to change the password with the @apxchpwd command which showed the password was successfully changed. But when I login, I get the Invalid Login Credential. Did I misss something?

Thanks in advance. Yeah, you're in Germany or the US out of curiosity? (never mind, you're in Berlin as I just learnt)

cheers
    Sam
  • 20. Re: What version of Java to use / where to get? I want listener to run.
    Udo Guru
    Hi Sam,

I'm not sure why you get that info, but I guess it is a configuration problem. How do you access your APEX installation? If you use XDB, things are a little different compared to using the APEX Listener.
    The following question summarizes my first guess: Is the database instance you connected to when running @apxchpwd the same that your web server connects to?
    Second guess: Do you have any special characters in your password?
    Further troubleshooting: Could the database account be locked due to previous login errors? (You would get a different error message for that if you use APEX Listener, but I'm not sure if you are currently trying to use XDB or still use the Listener).

-Udo
  • 21. Re: What version of Java to use / where to get? I want listener to run.
    830522 Newbie
    Hi Udo,
    For the installation, I followed the steps in Scenario2: Configuring the Embedded PL/SQL Gateway (this is on the 11g). The issue about the XDB is fixed, I dont get that message anymore (Always asking password for XDB user
    The problem now is I cant login because I am apparently using 'Invalid Login Credentials'.

The database I am connected to when running @apxchpwd is 11g. This how:

**SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.2.0 Production on Wed Jan 26 21:25:48 2011**

**Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.**

**Enter user-name: sys as sysdba**
    **Enter password:**

**Connected to:**
    **Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production**
    **With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data* Mining and Real Application Testing options*

SQL> @apxchpwd
    Enter a value below for the password for the Application Express ADMIN user.

Enter a password for the ADMIN user              []

Session altered.

*...changing password for ADMIN*

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

Commit complete.

==================

But I also have three databases:

https://sam-pc.bigpond:5500/em (this is a dummy database I loaded for testing)

https://localhost:1158/em (this is the main one, where I think APEX will be installed. This is the one that got installed on the main installation-ie. the first one. I can see APEX users within Oracle SQL Developer in this database)

https://sam-pc.bigpond:5501/em (this one was created because I wanted the OE schema. XE only had HR, therefore I cant do the exercises)

Not sure I will be able to see the OE/HR schema in APEX, given what the setup above, but sure want to finish it.
    I dont have special characters in my password. But I also tried using special when I saw your reply. That didnt work either.

Not geting any other error messages. But now I think about it, how I got rid of the problem on the XDB message was by running this:

SQL> alter user anonymous account unlock;

User altered.

SQL> alter user xdb account unlock;

User altered.

This was the thread I got it from Always asking password for XDB user

Maybe I need to change password for xdb and anonymous? (not sure how though)

thanks Udo..Keen to see your response tomorrow, pretty late in Oz now..

cheers
    Sam
  • 22. Re: What version of Java to use / where to get? I want listener to run.
    Udo Guru
    Sam,

it seems we're getting closer to solving your problem. As you say, you still have three databases on your host. And you don't use the Listener but XDB.
    Which port is your XDB configured to use? The default would be 8080, but since you have three database instances, they obviously can't all bind to the same port. Perhaps this is the solution already: Reconfigure the XDB- on each database instance to use a different HTTP-Port.
    When you connect with sqlplus, you don't give any database instance name, so you either connect to the one set as ORACLE_SID in the environment or the one your client belongs to. Do you actually know if you connect to the instance you intended to change the APEX password for? As I mentioned before, you probably have a default APEX installation in every instance, so the @apxchpwd won't throw any error.
    There's a simple way to find out: Shutdown all database instances and startup only the one you want to have your APEX running on. Retry the @apexchpwd and then try to access the APEX administration.
    If that works, reconfigure all other instances so there are no conflicts and configure your environment to have appropriate TNS-entires for all three databases. I recommend to never use "sys as sysdba" without explicitly naming the database instance you want to connect to. (e.g. sys@database11g as sysdba where database11g is the TNS-alias for your target database).

-Udo
  • 23. Re: What version of Java to use / where to get? I want listener to run.
    830522 Newbie
    Hi Udo,
    You're observation is mostly correct.
    With regards to reconfiguring the XDB on each instance to use a different HTTP port, that's outside of what I know, though I will google to see what you mean.
    You're right with regards to which instance I am connecting to, because prior to you pointing out , I didnt know. But following what you said I am now pointing to the corrrect instance. However this didnt produce the results I wanted. The situation is as follows.

*I can only open the APEX page (login page only) if database 'orclsample' is up. If this one is down and the other two are up, I still cannot open the APEX logon page.
    *When database 'orcl' is up and after I have changed the password for this in cmd, I still cannot open the APEX logon page and therefor cannot logon (becasue 'sampleorcl' is still down)

*when database 'sampleorcl' is up (and therefore APEX login page is accessable) and I try to change the password, I get the following in the cmd prompt:

C:\apex32\apex>set Oracle_SID=sampleorcl

C:\apex32\apex>sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.2.0 Production on Thu Jan 27 21:18:00 2011

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: sys as sysdba
    Enter password:

Connected to:
    Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
    With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

SQL> @apxchpwd
    Enter a value below for the password for the Application Express ADMIN user.

Enter a password for the ADMIN user []
    ERROR:
    ORA-01435: user does not exist

...changing password for ADMIN
    wwv_flow_security.g_security_group_id := 10;
    ERROR at line 3:
    ORA-06550: line 3, column 5:
    PLS-00201: identifier 'WWV_FLOW_SECURITY.G_SECURITY_GROUP_ID' must be declared
    ORA-06550: line 3, column 5:
    PL/SQL: Statement ignored
    ORA-06550: line 4, column 5:
    PLS-00201: identifier 'WWV_FLOW_SECURITY.G_USER' must be declared
    ORA-06550: line 4, column 5:
    ORA-06550: line 5, column 5:
    PLS-00201: identifier 'WWV_FLOW_SECURITY.G_IMPORT_IN_PROGRESS' must be declared
    ORA-06550: line 5, column 5:
    ORA-06550: line 8, column 23:
    PL/SQL: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
    ORA-06550: line 7, column 16:
    PL/SQL: SQL Statement ignored
    ORA-06550: line 13, column 32:
    PLS-00364: loop index variable 'C1' use is invalid
    ORA-06550: line 12, column 9:
    ORA-06550: line 19, column 5:
    PLS-00201: identifier 'WWV_FLOW_SECURITY.G_IMPORT_IN_PROGRESS' must be declared
    ORA-06550: line 19, column 5:

Commit complete.

SQL>

Udo, what am I doing wrong?
  • 24. Re: What version of Java to use / where to get? I want listener to run.
    Udo Guru
    Hi Sam,

you say, you see the login page when 'orclsample' is up. Why do you connect to 'sampleorcl' to change the password?
    The message you get indicates there is no APEX installed in the database you connect to. This corresponds to your other observation that you don't see anything when these instances are up.
    You can configure the HTTP-Port used by XDB as documented here:
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17556_01/doc/install.40/e15513/otn_install.htm#BHAFBECA

-Udo
  • 25. Re: What version of Java to use / where to get? I want listener to run.
    830522 Newbie
    Hi Udo,
    Can't say I totally follow what you were saying but what I was trying to do was connect to 'sampleorcl' to change the password because that's the only instance which I even get a APEX logon when I logon to http://localhost:port/apex/apexadmin , which I assume was the only instance that had APEX.
    But after rereading what you said about configuring the HTTP port for xdb and going back to that manual , it made sense so I tried it again.
    Actually I did do this step the first time round (just forgot, think I've read too much in too short a space of time to remember. I cant recall which instance I did it on then though). Well the fantastic news is I am up and now running so all good.
    Only problem now is I cant connect to the 'sampleorcl' instance in the cmd. But that is something else. I'll do some further reading before I trouble you guys.

thanks again Udo, much appreciated..

cheers
    Sam
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points