This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2010 1:27 PM by jduprez RSS

how to learn application design in java

807866 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I am a java developer and have been writing java code for couple of years now.
Now I want to learn application design in java.
I mean how to design modules, classes, methods etc to capture all the requirements.
And what are the featres that should be taken care of while designing i.e. performance, robustness,scalability,security etc. how should these be handled.

Please suggest, If there is some good book or URL for this, that would be great help.

Thanks
deepak
  • 1. Re: how to learn application design in java
    818494 Newbie
    I am reading (http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596001230) "Building Java Enterprise Applications" from O'Reilly media, and it's a good book to start from the designer point of view, i just have 2 years in java so it may be a bit low-level for you, but maybe you wanna take a look at the free preview on the page. I'm getting it combined with
    (http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596003845/) "Java Enterprise Best Practices" and some books and research about Enterprise Design Patterns and im getting good results so far.

If you have your own recommendations after doing some search please share.

Regards
    JMHP

Edited by: José M. Hurtado on 2/12/2010 08:24 AM
  • 2. Re: how to learn application design in java
    jduprez Pro
    deepak wrote:
    Hi,
    I am a java developer and have been writing java code for couple of years now.
    Now I want to learn application design in java.
    I mean how to design modules, classes, methods etc to capture all the requirements.
    And what are the featres that should be taken care of while designing i.e. performance, robustness,scalability,security etc. how should these be handled.

Please suggest, If there is some good book or URL for this, that would be great help.
    Hello,

Craig Larman's Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development seems such a perfect fit to your question that I suspect you have shares of the editor and just wanted to plug an ad :o)

Don't let the title ( UML & Patterns ) mistake you: it's subtitle is a better description ( Introduction to OOAD and Iterative Development ); the book really focuses on a method to seriously and thoroughly design an application to address its requirements.

Regards,

J.

Edited by: jduprez on Dec 2, 2010 10:24 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points