4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2010 3:18 PM by 820683 RSS

Problem with logging not working with handlers

I have a wierd problem with logging and maybe someone here can point me in the correct direction to look. I install a custom FileHandler for various loggers. This has been working for a few years. Now it no longer works. Nothing ends up in the log file although it is created.

What I have narrowed it down to is a change in the JVM. If I run application under JDK 1.6.0_05 (what I had in production), this works. If I run the application under JDK 1.6.0_22, it does not work. This is on Solaris 10 and the only change that I make is to change the symbolic link "latest" in "/usr/jdk" to one JDK release or the other. It is reproducable 100% of the time. Use the old JDK and it works, use the new JDK and it does not.

I am at a loss as to what might be wrong.

Here is the relevant code that sets up the handler and associates it with the logger:

Logger l = Logger.getLogger(loggerName);
      if (null != level) {
      l.setLevel(level);
      }
      System.out.println("logger level is " + l.getLevel());
      if (null != useParentHandlers) {
      l.setUseParentHandlers(useParentHandlers);
      }
      String loggerPattern = logDir + pattern;
      Handler h = new FileHandler(loggerPattern, limit, count, append);
      h.setLevel(Level.ALL);
      Formatter f = new UniformLogFormatter();
      h.setFormatter(f);
      l.addHandler(h);
      logger.info("Added FileHandler[" + loggerPattern + ", " + limit + ", " + count + ", " + append + "] for logger: " + loggerName);
      l.info("log file opened");

I see the "log file opened" but never see any other log message within. The "server.log" does see the messages, however.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Brett
        • 1. Re: Problem with logging not working with handlers
          jtahlborn
          At some point in time, the internals of the LogManager/Logger classes were changed so that they maintain WeakReferences to child Loggers. my guess is that your code is not keeping a hard reference to the Logger which you have configured and it is getting garbage collected at some later point in time (and therefore not getting any future messages).
          • 2. Re: Problem with logging not working with handlers
            Did some more debugging. The application is an application running under the Glassfish 2.1.1 application server. The logger is configured in a Lifecycle module and accessed in an EJB module. Here is what I found.

With JDK 1.6.0_05, the logger that I get in the Lifecycle module is the same logger instance that I get within the EJB where I am logging. In the EJB, I get all of the handlers and print out the information and all is correct and the logging works with the handler.

Change the symbolic link to point to JDK 1.6.0_22 and the logger that I get in the Lifecycle module is not the same logger instance that I get within the EJB where I am logging. This time in the EJB, the logger's level is "null" and there is no handler associated with the logger. So that is why it is not logging. What I don't understand is why the logger instance is retrieved in the EJB is not the same logger instance in the Lifecycle module.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
            • 3. Re: Problem with logging not working with handlers
              Okay, that is starting to make some sense. I can quickly test that. I saw your response just after I posted new information. Very helpful. I'm going to change the code to keep a reference and try it. Thanks!

Brett

PS. Any idea where I could find that information about the change?
              • 4. Re: Problem with logging not working with handlers
                This was the problem. All better now.

Thanks.