6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2010 4:51 PM by 820974

Oracle XE does not install as Domain User

Hello,

I work for Oracle support for Primavera applications. Our software uses Oracle XE to install as a standalone db engine. I have a customer who when goes through the install as a domain user that is under the local admin group our Software fails at creating the databases. It works without any issue if logged in as a local user that is a local admin. It had been determined the XE installation did not fully complete and there were files missing. An attempt was then made to install XE manually, but the same thing occurred. Unable to connect to db home page or connect via sqlplus but the services were installed and started, but not everything was being installed.

Since it installed fine as a local user, is the only possibility causing this is some sort of group policy on the domain accounts (as this happens for all users within that group and happens on all machines, they have windows 7 and XP machines)? Or is there something else that could be a factor that could be not allowing the installation to fully complete?

Thank you!
      -Phil
        • 1. Re: Oracle XE does not install as Domain User
          clcarter
          Installing user has to be in the local admins group, so if its a domain user doing the install, its the same rule ... see 2.2 "2.2 Permissions Requirement for Installing ..." http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B25329_01/doc/install.102/b25143/toc.htm#CIHFEBGE
          • 2. Re: Oracle XE does not install as Domain User
            The domain user that is being used to install is listed in the local admins group on every machine. We have the same requirement when installing our standalone software so this was the first thing checked. This is what had lead me to believe there is a group policy for that domain group that might be causing XE not to install fully. Is there anything else that could cause XE not to install when:

Domain User being used to install is a local admin on the machine
            Domain User being used to install fails
            Local User who attempts to install on same machine is a local admin on the machine
            Local User who attempts to install on same machine is successful.

Thanks.
            -Phil
            • 3. Re: Oracle XE does not install as Domain User
              clcarter
              Ok might be a domain policy somewhere keeping the installer from finishing completely, but as far as which it might be, I'm not a windows admin guru by any means- other folks here may have better insight to what it could be.

There is a log generated by the installer, OracleDatabaseXEServerInstall.log in the Win install folder ...

Figuring out the step that keeps it from working will be buried in there some place. If you can get a log of the local user install and compare with a domain login install, something may reveal itself but it'll take quite a bit of digging.
              • 4. Re: Oracle XE does not install as Domain User
                Thanks for the response!

I am also not a windows guru so if anyone else out there has any idea about possible group policies that could cause this that would be great.

That is a great idea about the logs, I have requested the customer to send me both a successful local user log and an unsuccessful domain user log and I will go through and compare. If I have any specific questions about entires in the log, I will come back and ask here in this thread.

Thanks.
                -Phil
                • 5. Re: Oracle XE does not install as Domain User
                  krzyhu
                  Hi,

I've had the same issue. I've tried to install XE on Win XP as a domain user with local admin rights.
                  Though installer was saying that the installation was successful it wasn't.

I've checked the logs at <installation_path>\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\config\log
                  There were problems with connecting/authenticated logged.

I've found out that it was due to the <installation_path>\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\NETWORK\ADMIN\sqlnet.ora containing: AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
                  1. I've changed it to AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE)
                  2. I've completed the failed part of the installation, starting of line 23 of the <installation_path>\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\config\scritps\XE.bat:

D:\ORACLEXE\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\bin\sqlplus /nolog @D:\ORACLEXE\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\config\scripts\XE.sql %1 %2
                  where %1 and %2 is the SYS/SYSTEM password (that I provided on the beginning of the installation).

When complete, check the <installation_path>\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\config\log:
                  CloneRmanRestore.log
                  cloneDBCreation.log
                  postScripts.log

If everything seems to be fine continue:

echo SPFILE='D:\ORACLEXE\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\dbs/spfileXE.ora' > D:\ORACLEXE\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\database\initXE.ora

D:\ORACLEXE\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\bin\sqlplus /nolog @D:\ORACLEXE\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\config\scripts\postDBCreation.sql %1
                  where again, %1 is the SYS/SYSTEM password
                  The database will be bounced

Check <installation_path>\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\config\log:
                  postDBCreation.log

Good luck!
                  Krzysztof
                  • 6. Re: Oracle XE does not install as Domain User
                    Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply and suggestion. I passed this along to my customer, but unfortunately they said it did not work.

They did get however have a successful XE install when they turned off the windows firewall, disconnected from their network, rebooted machine, and then logged back in using their domain user account. Is there anything from a network or firewall standpoint that might be cause the install to fail?

Thank you!
                    -Phil