5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2011 5:19 PM by 836417 RSS

full OS backup of a Solaris 9 cluster

Hello
      I am been asked to take full System backups of a Sun Sparc Solaris 9 infrastructure.
      Among them there is a two-node cluster with veritas vxfs that hosts the production Oracle.
      Luckily for me the Oracle DBA can handle the database and the rest of the applications.
      But what about the backup method?
      Ufsdump shouldn't work since the cluster runs in Veritas.
      What about flar? Supposing the DBA migrates the connection to the other node and stops services on one node, can I take the flar archive as usual?
      Thanks.
        • 1. Re: full OS backup of a Solaris 9 clusterM.
          abrante
          ufsdump won't work for a VxFS filesystem, however you should be able to use vxfsdump .

Flar should work as well, since it uses cpio and don't care about the underlying filesystem.

.7/M.
          • 2. Re: full OS backup of a Solaris 9 clusterM.
            abrante
            Thinking about it, i don't remember if the VxFS dump command is 'vxfsdump' or 'vxdump'.. one of them should work though.

.7/M.
            • 3. Re: full OS backup of a Solaris 9 cluster
              Thank you for your answers
              Here is the vfstab listing

root@hel-ais1 # egrep -v '^#|^$' /etc/vfstab
              fd - /dev/fd fd - no -
              /proc - /proc proc - no -
              /dev/vx/dsk/swapvol - - swap - no -
              /dev/vx/dsk/rootvol /dev/vx/rdsk/rootvol / ufs 1 no nologging
              /dev/vx/dsk/var /dev/vx/rdsk/var /var ufs 1 no nologging
              swap - /tmp tmpfs - yes -
              /dev/vx/dsk/node@1 /dev/vx/rdsk/node@1 /global/.devices/node@1 ufs 2 no global
              /dev/vx/dsk/stor_dg/stor_vol /dev/vx/rdsk/stor_dg/stor_vol /mnt/u10 ufs 2 no logging
              /dev/vx/dsk/storip_dg/storp_vol /dev/vx/rdsk/storip_dg/storp_vol /mnt/u20 ufs 2 no logging
              /dev/vx/dsk/stor2_dg/stor2_vol /dev/vx/rdsk/stor2_dg/stor2_vol /mnt/u30 ufs 2 no logging

I notice that there are vx-type devices that have ufs filesystem.
              Does this mean that I can I take proper backups using ufsdump?

Regards

Edited by: IOANNIS on Dec 6, 2010 1:40 AM
              • 4. Re: full OS backup of a Solaris 9 cluster
                abrante
                Yes, you can use ufsdump on those.

//Magnus
                • 5. Re: full OS backup of a Solaris 9 cluster
                  I take care of a production Solairs 9 and Cluster 3.1 setup, and for the local backups I have a script that uses gtar, gunzip and dd for this task. Use the GNU versions of these in /usr/sfw/bin, or get them from sunfreeware.com and use that. Once it is done, the script sends me an email. I make sure things like etc, usr, var and all those favorite directories get backed up, every day at 2 AM thanks to cron.