This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2010 8:45 AM by 822813 RSS

dba accounts

822813 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I was told that I must use the APPS account for all dba activities for our Oracle 11.5.10 release on Oracle10g on SunSolaris 10.5. I was told this was recommended by Oracle.

I was trained that we should use the sysdba account for dba stuff and the application id for usertable stuff.

what are you doing for your instance?
  • 1. Re: dba accounts
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Welcome to the forums !

Pl elaborate on what you mean by "dba activities". Traditional DBA activities (creating custo schemas, maintenance of datafiles/tablespaces etc) need to be performed using the SYSTEM account, as usual. There are very few (if any) DBA-type activities that require the use of the APPS account. The APPS account (by default) does not have the DBA role. All EBS maintenance activities have various executables (e.g. adpatch, adadmin etc) that require the SYSTEM and APPS passwords.

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: dba accounts
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    Hi,
    I was told that I must use the APPS account for all dba activities for our Oracle 11.5.10 release on Oracle10g on SunSolaris 10.5. I was told this was recommended by Oracle.
    What is your source?
    I was trained that we should use the sysdba account for dba stuff and the application id for usertable stuff.
    The sysdba/system accounts should be used for the DBA activities (maintain the database) and the apps account should be used to maintain apps/applsys and other modules tables, and run the main utilities at the application tier level.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 3. Re: dba accounts
    822813 Newbie
    thank you both. I thought this was the case. I was told that this is Oracle strongly-recommended practice.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points