This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2010 1:05 AM by 807928 RSS

Can I install Sun Cluster on LDOM guest domain. Is Oracle RAC a supported c

797449 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,
Can I install Sun Cluster on LDOM guest domains. Is Oracle RAC on LDOM guest domains of 2 physical servers a supported configuration from oracle?

Many thanks in advance
Ushas Symon
  • 1. Re: Can I install Sun Cluster on LDOM guest domain. Is Oracle RAC a supported c
    gleng Expert
    I believe the current answer is yes, but this was not true in the past.

What hardware are you looking at and what levels of LDM, Solaris and Oracle DB.

have a good weekend,
    GlenG
  • 2. Re: Can I install Sun Cluster on LDOM guest domain. Is Oracle RAC a supported c
    797449 Newbie
    Hello,

Thank you Gleng.

I am looking at T5120 with UltraSPARC T2 processor, StorageTek 2540 storage, with Solaris 10 u9 09/10, Soalris cluster 3.2 11/09, LDOM 1.3.

I am planning to have one guest domain installed with both Sun cluster and Oracle RAC software, shared vdisks and vnets on two different physical machines.

I will also create two other guest domains each on the same two physical servers, one as a Bea weblogic cluster node and other as a web-server cluster node.

Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

Many Thanks
    Ushas Symon
  • 3. Re: Can I install Sun Cluster on LDOM guest domain. Is Oracle RAC a supported c
    807928 Journeyer
    I've just checked the support matrix and 3.2 11/09 does not support 11gR2, so if you want to install that you'll need to get 3.3.

However, one question - what is the driver behind using guest LDoms? Did you consider simply using zone clusters instead? A zone cluster will out-perform a guest LDom simply because there is a lower overhead for I/O.

Regards,

Tim
    ---
  • 4. Re: Can I install Sun Cluster on LDOM guest domain. Is Oracle RAC a supported c
    797449 Newbie
    Hello,

The motive behind using LDOm Guest domains as RAC node is to have a better control of the resource allocation, since i will be having more than one guest domains which should perform different functions. The customer wants to have ORACLE RAC alone (without sun cluster).

I will have two T5120's and one 2540 shared storage.

My plan of configuration is to have

Control&IO Domain with 8VCPU, 6GB mem

one LDOM guest domain on each physical machine with 8 VCPU's, 8GB of memory, shared n/w and disks participating as RAC node's. (Don't know yet if i will use solaris cluster or not)

one guest domain on each physical machine with 12 VCPU's, 14GB of memory, shared n/w and disks participating as BEA weblogic cluster nodes (not on solaris cluster)

One guest domain on each physical machine with 4 VCPU's, 4GB of memory,shared n/w and disks participating as apache web cluster (on solaris cluster)

Now, My question is, is it a supported configuration to have guest domains as Oracle RAC participants for 11gR2 (either with or without solaris cluster).

If I need to configure RAC nodes on solaris cluster, is it possible to have two independent clusters on LDOM , one 2 node cluster for RAC and another 2 node cluster for apache web?

Kindly advise

Many thanks in advance

Ushas Symon
  • 5. Re: Can I install Sun Cluster on LDOM guest domain. Is Oracle RAC a supported c
    807928 Journeyer
    You can do resource control with zone clusters too, that is, limit CPU and memory.

While I believe your configuration is viable, that is, one pair of Guest LDoms in a Solaris Cluster running (scalable) Apache Web server and one pair of Guest LDoms without Solaris Cluster running Oracle 11gR2 RAC, I still feel that running it under a single cluster with multiple zone clusters is simpler. For a start, you only have two O/S instances to manage. You also have a higher degree of memory sharing, whereas with the multiple LDoms, each O/S and associated binaries will have separate memory footprints. Furthermore, the guest LDoms have a longer I/O path through the virtualization layer and if you only have one control domain per system and it failed, then all the Guest LDoms on that cluster hang. On the other hand, the separate O/S instances do give you separate points of control, that is, the ability to run separate O/S versions.

Anyway, it just shows there are always many ways to achieve the same goal :-)

Tim
    ---
  • 6. Re: Can I install Sun Cluster on LDOM guest domain. Is Oracle RAC a supported c
    797449 Newbie
    Dear Tim,

Also it might sometimes be possible that one OS patch version which supports RAC might not work for BEA Application right? In that case also, LDOM is safer I guess.

Thanks and Regards
    Ushas Symon
  • 7. Re: Can I install Sun Cluster on LDOM guest domain. Is Oracle RAC a supported c
    807928 Journeyer
    Yes, that is possible, though you've doubled your OS instance count for that eventuality. The other option could be to consider use of some Guest LDom clusters and other zone clusters. Really, all I'm concerned with is that you make your decision when you have all the options in view.

Regards,

Tim
    ---
  • 8. Re: Can I install Sun Cluster on LDOM guest domain. Is Oracle RAC a supported c
    797449 Newbie
    Sun Blue print 820-7931-10 discusses the configuration in detail , in which they add nxge2 & nxge3 into an IPMP group and assign it to a vswitch and use routing to make the private interconnect for oracle RAC. In my case I need to have another guest domain which will participate as a solaris cluster node. kindly help me in understanding how I will assign the cluster heart beat for solaris cluster? Because both nxge2 & nxge3 are used by oracle cluster interconnect for RAC nodes, I am not sure if I can use the same interfaces for solaris cluster interconnect for another guest domain, or Do I need to add another Dual Gig Ethernet card?

Thanks and Regards
    Ushas Symon
  • 9. Re: Can I install Sun Cluster on LDOM guest domain. Is Oracle RAC a supported c
    807928 Journeyer
    You should be able to share the NICs as interconnects for multiple Guest LDom clusters, whether they are Solaris Cluster or non-Solaris Cluster based.

Tim
    ---

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points