This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 13, 2010 9:58 AM by CraigB RSS

Oracle 10g Developer installation on Windows 7 32 bit

807944 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Already posted at mistakenly at Forum Home » E-Business Suite » Technology - LCM: 11i Install/Upgrade

Hello everyone,

The below query might seems familiar to most of you but the problem which is occurring is totally unique for me..

I need some advise regarding Oracle 10g Development installation on Windows 7 32 bit.

I have gone through all the ways on internet and it really works for Windows 7 32 and 64 bit OS. I have install Oracle 10g Developer suit sucessfully on my friend's laptop on Windows 7 (same model and brand) but not successful on my laptop.

Here what I have done and what i expect (which is not happening) (Please note that the below detail can easily be understandable who have tried installing Oracle on Windows 7)
1. I have Oracle 10g form installation copy (10.1.2.0.2) (also downloaded latest copy from OTN) and change the oraparam.ini and added 6.1 in Windows.
2. Change virtual memory and set to 3000 maximum.
3. Run the setup.exe
4. It shows me the error that Program abnormally terminated and some files are missing 'UNKNOWN'. etc...
5. After pressing OK on that error message, Program compatibility window should be started to reinstall the abnormal termination with recommended setting. That window is not appearing which is appearing on another machine where I have installed. (Already check that program compatibility service is running).

The only problem I see is that Program Compatibility Assistant which does not start after abnormal termination. You can watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Thx4r4elH8 and check at 1:26 minute. Although this video is related to Oracle 10g database but I just want to show you the example.

Can any have experience the same and share what step u have taken to install it.

Will really appreciate the replies. Thanks.

Rizwan Ali
  • 1. Re: Oracle 10g Developer installation on Windows 7 32 bit
    CraigB Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Rizwan Ali,
    1. I have Oracle 10g form installation copy (10.1.2.0.2) (also downloaded latest copy from OTN) and change the oraparam.ini and added 6.1 in Windows.
    I did not change the oraparam.ini and was able to successfully install Forms 10g R2 on Windows 7 (32) by simply following the installation instructions for installing 10g on Windows Vista - with the addition of instructing the installer to "Run as Administrator". The key, is running as the administrator because Oracle Forms is not written specificially for Windows 7. Consequently, the installation will attempt to write files to Windows protected directories and the User Account Control (UAC) mechanism in Windows 7 will block writing files to these protected directories rather than virtualize them. By running as the administrator, UAC will virtualize (writing these files to safe locations and reference the files from these safe locations) files rather than block them. I would bet, that your installation terminates abnormally, becuase the writing of files to protested directories was block instead of virtualized. Try installing again and select the "Run as Administrator" option.

Hope this helps,
    Craig B-)

If someone's response is helpful or correct, please mark it accordingly.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points