4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2010 5:15 AM by Rizwan Shaukat

Continous  PO#  sequence generation without save PO in database

Rizwan Shaukat
      Aoa,
      Currently we are using EBS 11.5.10.2 with 10G rel 2 database.

My user want to change the PO number series, i RND on this and find purchasing option in purchase manager responsibility.
      we change PO sequence and generate future coming PO.. then reverse sequence by default number where it was.

it dont save single number twice, it prompt unique key violation... i open PO form and press save buttion it generate next sequence, continue same practice, it generated number sequentially... when i query the database, i didn't find any record bcuz it only generated number rather to save data with require info... i wana ask that it is flaw of PO form or a sort of behaviour which i didnt understand... Pl help in this regard

Rgrds,

Rizwan
        • 1. Re: Continous  PO#  sequence generation without save PO in database
          S.PDASH
          Hi
          You mentioned : we change PO sequence and generate future coming PO.. then reverse sequence by default number where it was.

Any change in sequence will work fine as long as it is upward.. e.g. Suppose you have a current running PO number sequence as 50 in Purchasing Option,... Now you change the sequence to 100 and created couple of POs with the new sequence..and you again change the PO Sequence to 51... Any specfic reason you are doing this..???

System willl throw Unique key violation when you start a new sequence lower than the current sequence as Oracle will assume that the sequence has already been used....

Raise a SR with oracle and get it verified.. but to our knowledge you are not following the right approach in sequence number...

/S.P DASH
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Continous  PO#  sequence generation without save PO in database
            Rizwan Shaukat
            how do we can restrict to not generate next sequence if rest of all PO form is not filled.....

I experienced by changing sequence 50 to 100 then generate i generate 100 number then reversed to 51.. but i prompt error when i again reached on 100 but to unique constraint...... than again switch 100 to 101, then i acts normal..

Rgrds,

Rizwan
            • 3. Re: Continous  PO#  sequence generation without save PO in database
              S.PDASH
              Hi Rizwan,
              your question : how do we can restrict to not generate next sequence if rest of all PO form is not filled.....
              Ans : This is a Oracle limitation we believe, there is no way system will prompt your for a sequence already used/occupied or not. Raise a SR with Oracle on this, hope they may able to guide you better..

Coming to 2nd part of your question, you mentioned : I experienced by changing sequence 50 to 100 then generate i generate 100 number then reversed to 51.. but i prompt error when i again reached on 100 but to unique constraint...... than again switch 100 to 101, then i acts normal..

Ans : when Next Po number was 50 (sequence number under Purchasing option) you changed the next PO number setup sequence to 100.. Now system assume that when you create new POs sequence should pick number from 100 onwards.. so starting sequence is saved as 100 in the database..

Now you again revert the sequence (where you left earlier) to 51... when you reached 100, system checked if that sequence has ever used or not.. but as you mentioned you once set the new sequence to 100, hence this number is reserved and system showing this sequence already used hence you are getting unique constraints in Sequence database table and this is expected. This issue you fixed by setting the next PO number to 101..

Let me reiterate whenever you altering a sequence, always use upward sequence number else you will come accross with such situation as explained above. Prevention is better than cure.. :)

Kind Regards,
              S.P DASH
              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Continous  PO#  sequence generation without save PO in database
                Rizwan Shaukat
                Thanks Mr.S.P DASH, actually the requirement raise when user ask me an important require and they need a number which will be memorize in future easily. Current PO number 67670, he needs PO number 67777. First we have option to change PO number in purchasing option, than we suggest to user save PO and reach on ur specified number. He may use PO for future use.

I just want to know than i read in sequence we can reverse sequence that why this question prompt in my mind..

Any way thanks for cooperation...

Regards

Rizwan

Edited by: user9092987 on Dec 22, 2010 9:14 PM