4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2010 12:24 AM by 826950 RSS

The Connection has failed

Hi,

trying to create repository using Admin tool. from iport meta data i getting error "The connection has failed". I am using OBIEE 11g and DB is Oracle 10g, My db is installed on separate machine.

i create odbc datasource from there the connection is successful.

i placed tnsnames.ora file in <bi_home>\Oracle_BI1\network\admin and TNS_ADMIN path in user.cmd but sitll getting same error,.

Any suggetions.
        • 1. Re: The Connection has failed
          Balaa
          Hi,

This is a behaviour change when we move from 10g to 11g. In BI EE 10g, there was no Oracle Client bundled along with BI EE. So, BI EE will use your Oracle DB Home client to connect to the database. Generally no issues in that case. But in BI EE 11g, the software itself contains the 11.2 DB client. So, when you try to connect to the database through the Repository or BI Server, it will try to find the tnsnames entry in the Oracle Client of BI EE 11g instead of your database. There are 2 options to work around this

1. Copy your tnsnames.ora to {Oracle_BI1}\network\admin directory & {oracle_common}\network\admin directory (only the former is needed as that is the ORACLE_HOME)

2. Or instead of tnsnames.ora source entry, use the full expanded tnsnames as shown below

(DESCRIPTION =(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 172.16.66.173)(PORT = 1521))(CONNECT_DATA =(SERVER = DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME = orcl)))

Both of the above will work.

Courtesy by Venkatkrishnan.
          Ref : Re: Cannot connect to Database from the OBIEE 11g upgraded RPD

Thanks,
          Balaa...
          • 2. Re: The Connection has failed
            Hi,

My luck not favors me.. Still same problem..

I tried in Both ways......

Any Suggestions.....
            • 3. Re: The Connection has failed
              At last i solved my problem.

The Error becauese of OBIEE 11g overwriting the ORACLE_Home path(environment variable).
              • 4. Re: The Connection has failed

Hello I am having the same problem, can you please Instruct me for solving it?

Thanks