This discussion is archived
0 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2010 1:15 PM by 811942 RSS

Leveraging automated tools for datawarehouse migration

811942 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'd like to figure out whether the following scenario described below can be used as a frame of reference to start a crucial conversation regarding SOA adoption and turn that into an executable plan.

In a scenario where the enterprise data warehouse (EDW) infrastructure have to be migrated from data center A to data center B, I am finding that there are "known knowns" and "known unknows." Put simply the current documentation is pretty light or non-existent.

A few critical source systems in data center A will not be migrated to data center B. Rather only the EDW infra (hardware and software stack).

That said, it is envisioned that we'd need to build a dedicated network pipe between the two data centers to achieve the desired network latency during data migration.

While these are ambitious goals, I am discovering that when the "rubber meets the road" the lack of explicit documentation at a detailed level is hampering the infrastructure team to understand the requirements for the infrastructure builds. (project paralysis)

We need to estimate the network traffic requirements for this migration effort, which will impact the design of the network.

[+++] To cite a specific example, we don't have explicit documentation that pinpoints:
for each ETL job {
* source system name
* source connection (server IP and port)
* destination connection (server IP and port)

I am not a Network Engg expert nor an ETL expert.

Are there automated tools to figure answers to this question (and others) in a spirit of "measure and manage" approach (as opposed to expecting a world of perfect documentation)?

* Are there any network appliances that can be used to gather the data that answers [+++] above?
* In a similar manner I'd like to learn if there are other server monitoring, data center monitoring and network monitoring tools that can be systematically leveraged to close the documentation gap?

Thanks in advance.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points