8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2011 8:31 PM by 697672

FDM or ODI

As a part of the project we need to perform data loads into HFM on a daily basis from external systems; my company is suggesting me to use ODI for the purpose.

Please can anyone suggest me the differences between FDM and ODI for data loading and transformation purposes.

Appreciate your thoughts

Regards
      Bees

Edited by: Bees on Dec 22, 2010 6:24 AM
        • 1. Re: FDM or ODI
          WPaffhausen
          Hello,

In your last statement I presume you meant to say: "...differences between *FDM* and ODI..."

Going with that assumption:
          1. FDM is not an ETL It is a Financial Data Management application (hence the forum you posted it too)
          2. ODI is an ETL (more precisecly an ELT) that can be used to move large amounts of data

I would suggest you work with an Oracle Sales Rep or Qualified Partner to ensure that the right fit is made for your organization.

Thank you,
          • 2. Re: FDM or ODI
            Hi WPaffhausen,

I do intend as FDM vs ODI, I have edited it now, thanks. We have checked with the Oracle Sales they are purely license driven not with customer success goal.

The prime purpose of the project is to load data to HFM application from external sources. ODI comes with Knowledge modules for HFM that will help to load and extract Dimension Member data to and from the HFM application.

Back to your points can we use FDM purely for data loads purpose? if FDM is a finance data management application, does it have any additional features that help the data load to HFM more efficiently than ODI Knowledge Modules for HFM?

Appreciate your comments.

Regards
            • 3. Re: FDM or ODI
              WPaffhausen
              Hello,

To answer your questions:

1. Sure you can use FDM.
              2. No FDM is not more efficient than ODI. As FDM is not in the same class design as ODI. It offers a lot more features and functionality that you may not needed; and thusly deem in-efficient.

Hopefully this helps,
              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: FDM or ODI
                Hi WPaffhausen,

With ODI HFM Knowledge modules I can schedule the process to load data into HFM similarly can I schedule the Data load process with FDM to automate the process without human intervention.

Appreciate your comments.

Regards
                Bees
                • 5. Re: FDM or ODI
                  WPaffhausen
                  Hello Bees,

Yes you can. This is an additional licensing purchase from Oracle to leverage what FDM calls the BatchLoader.

Thank you,
                  • 6. Re: FDM or ODI
                    Hi WPaffhausen,

Thanks for the update, will surely check with the sales guys about the additional licensing cost. By the by do you have any idea where I can get some help on writing FDM BatchLoader scripts?

Regards
                    Bees
                    • 7. Re: FDM or ODI
                      WPaffhausen
                      Hello Bees,

Unfortunately I don't know of anyone that will specifically just help you with a script. They will probably want more of an implementation objective. But feel free to contact Ranzal & Associates (http://www.ranzal.com) if needed.

Thank you,
                      • 8. Re: FDM or ODI
                        You can also extend native FDM functionality greatly via its well documented API.

All things are possible with VBScript (given Windows platform limitations).

Good place to start => http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E12032_01/doc/epm.921/fdm_92000_scripting_guide.pdf

Todd Rebner