This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2011 4:11 AM by 883402 RSS

Netbackup with Solaris non-global zone!

tanvir Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
How to install and configure netbackup into Solaris 10 non-global zone? what steps need to follow?

Thanks
Tanvir
  • 1. Re: Netbackup with Solaris non-global zone!
    831365 Newbie
    Here is what i do on my servers.
    For example lets assume on the global you installed the zones in /zones. So your zonepath is /zones/zonename1/

So what i do is i have netbackups running on the global and then i backup each zone from there , for example lets say i want to backup /etc on the zone named zone1

I would have netbackups on global setup to backup

/zones/zone1/root/etc/

Please let me know if this helps at all.
  • 2. Re: Netbackup with Solaris non-global zone!
    840373 Newbie
    I agree with running from the global zone. The added benefit is that if you backup the root of all zonepaths, then when you add any new non-global within that path, the new server will be automatically backed up.

We had been installing the client on each server both global and non-global in the past. On our non-global zones, /usr is not writeable but /opt is. We would symlink /usr/openv to /opt/openv from the global and then remotely install the client software from the backup master via
    "/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/install_client_files ssh <client>"
  • 3. Re: Netbackup with Solaris non-global zone!
    Nik Expert
    Hi. Small additional. In local zone can be installed only client, not media server.
    Regards.
  • 4. Re: Netbackup with Solaris non-global zone!
    abrante Pro
    We run our backup client in each local zone, simply because it does some application-based backup which can't really be controlled from the global zone, and because we run in a cluster environment, so the zones move about..

.7/M.
  • 5. Re: Netbackup with Solaris non-global zone!
    CyberNinja Newbie
    Hi,
    Where I work we run Netbackup 6.5.5 and we installed all the clients on the non-global zones as well as the global zones. Now one thing to mention we use full root zones where I work. We also have 2 media servers running in non-global zones.

Let me know if you need more info.

Edited by: user13107262 on Apr 15, 2011 2:02 PM
  • 6. Re: Netbackup with Solaris non-global zone!
    CyberNinja Newbie
    Oh one more thing if you use full root zones you install NetBackup just like you would on a global zone.
  • 7. Re: Netbackup with Solaris non-global zone!
    883402 Newbie
    If you want to take only system level backup it is recommended to run netbackup client from global-zone as this will enable you to restore all the data from backup ( that of zonepath) and start the zone.

If you have to application level backup, then go for backup client in non-global zone as application (like SAP and Oracle) can't be backed up from global zone.

For sparse root zone link /usr/openv to /opt/openv and install netbackup client.

For whole root zones install netbackup client in the same procedure as you follow in global zone.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points