4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2010 12:20 PM by Udo

ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error

My system is running on XE using glassfish & apex listener.
      After many weeks of smooth running, it is giving me 'ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small
      ORA-06512: at line 32' error in the apex listener error status.
      So far the error is affecting only the developer when accessing a particular record on a page.
      Had earlier happened the same which was affecting new master-detail page creation. I had to reinstall the whole stuff to solve it.
      Now the same error hits again.
      Any solution for this?
        • 1. Re: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error
          Udo
          Hello Knight,

could you provide some more details on which versions you are running (APEX, Listener, GlassFish, OS)?
          One frequently occuring issue concerns character set/locale settings that might result in such errors if you come close to the maximum post size, e.g. with large forms. If you have any special characters with improper encoding, this might result in a buffer overflow, which is one of the possible reasons for the error message you receive.

-Udo
          • 2. Re: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error
            DB: Oracle XE 10.2.0.1.0 (Win Vista)
            APEX: 4.0.2.00.06
            Apex Listerner: 1.0.2.238.15.24
            GlassFish: 3.0.1 (Win XP)

Thanks
            • 3. Re: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error
              I can see that similar questions went unanswered on the forum.
              Currently we are working on few projects using apex.
              I was planning to purchase Glassfish server and use it with Apex listener.
              But now my confidence is too low to depend on apex listener for production purpose.

Is there any reliable way to use Apex 4 on 10g R2 RAC other than the embedded plsql gateway?
              • 4. Re: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error
                Udo
                Hello,

there are actually a few issues that seem to occur on certain platforms. Looking at some posts concerning problems with the current EA-version of the Listener I started to guess that the developers are working on that topic, as the behaviour changed.

You may also use mod_plsql on Oracle HTTP Server to provide a Web Server that gives access to your APEX. This was the recommended production environment before the APEX Listener was released.

-Udo