This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 10, 2011 3:26 PM by grusse RSS

Question re: territory setup for open or vacant territories

Jerry_J Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We have a r 12.1.1 environment.

The problem we have is that there are times where a sales territory is 'open'. We would like opportunities within that territory to be assigned to the 'open' resource, instead of some other resource (because once someone gets hired it will be difficult to segregate those opportunites from that persons' normally assigned ones).

Since a resource has to be tied to an employee, we can't create a 'dummy' or 'placeholder' resource to assign objects to via territory manager.

Is there another approach or solution that anybody has used? I can't believe that we're unique in this requirement.

thanks

-jerry
  • 1. Re: Question re: territory setup for open or vacant territories
    grusse Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jerry_J wrote:
    We have a r 12.1.1 environment.

The problem we have is that there are times where a sales territory is 'open'. We would like opportunities within that territory to be assigned to the 'open' resource, instead of some other resource (because once someone gets hired it will be difficult to segregate those opportunites from that persons' normally assigned ones).

Since a resource has to be tied to an employee, we can't create a 'dummy' or 'placeholder' resource to assign objects to via territory manager.

Is there another approach or solution that anybody has used? I can't believe that we're unique in this requirement.

thanks

-jerry
    Jerry -

Great question! and I am sure you are not the only one with such requirements specially when you are dealing with Sales Force. It is not a straight forward answer or may be the answer you are looking for - but here is what I'd think you can give a try -

When you say "Open" - are you referring to some kinda load balancing? or You wanted an opportunity(s) assigned to a resource that does not have any or are you referring to if a sales rep leaves the team or changes the territory that should be carried over.

You have to remember the assignment of resources either on a lead or an opportunity is pretty random, meaning, the engine picks the first available resource and assign it to them.

Alternatively, you can also have matching attributes defined and if none of the matching attributes work for the sales rep, you can have a "Catch ALL" with one resource and get assigned those leads or opportunities to that resource.

lemme know how it is working for you -

Grusse,

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points