1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2011 2:06 AM by Alex.Keh .Product.Manager-Oracle RSS

ODAC 11.2 ReIease 3 and 64 bit Oracle 11g

Downloaded and installed ODAC 11.2 R3 including its extensions for Visual Studio (2008 in my case).

It won't connect to my Oracle instance and I assume the reason is that my Oracle instance is 64 bit while ODAC 11.2 R3 is 32-bit. I looked for a 64 bit ODAC and this was the best I found:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html

And 'xcopy' version without the extensions for Visual Studio.

On the other hand, Microsoft's System.Data.OracleClient does work against my Oracle db (from C#).
        • 1. Re: ODAC 11.2 ReIease 3 and 64 bit Oracle 11g
          Alex.Keh .Product.Manager-Oracle
          ODAC 11.2 R3 32-bit can connect to a 64-bit DB. There should be no problem. Your problem lies elsewhere. What is the ODP.NET error you see?

There is no 64-bit Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio because there is no 64-bit Visual Studio. You can't load a 64-bit tool into a 32-bit process.
          • 2. Re: ODAC 11.2 ReIease 3 and 64 bit Oracle 11g
            Thanx Alex.

As I install again to check the message, there's a choice in one of the first dialogs that I wasn't sure of before.

Do I install Oracle Data Access Components for Client - or for Server? I'm installing ODAC on the same machine the server is on. Previously I installed 'for Client' which might have caused my problem.

'for Server' says that I need to install Oracle Database Extensions for .NET 11.2.0..2.1 - which I'll look around for now.
            • 3. Re: ODAC 11.2 ReIease 3 and 64 bit Oracle 11g
              Installing ODAC for client is what you want. You would only choose ODAC for server if you want to install ODAC onto the DB server itself.

Oracle Database Extensions for .NET is the component that runs .NET stored procedures. Obviously, stored procedures don't run in a client, only in a DB server. Hence, ODE is only available with ODAC for server.
              • 4. Re: ODAC 11.2 ReIease 3 and 64 bit Oracle 11g
                Reinstalled client. Open VS 2008; View Server; Add connection to Databases and I get:

ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified.

It would be nice to see the actual connection string that gets created.

I tried to connect with these parameters:

Data Source = Oracle Database (Oracle ODP.NET)
                Data Source name = ORCL ! which is on localhost
                User name = hr
                password = the usual hr password
                role = Default (as opposed to sysdba)
                connection name = hr.orcl (shouldn't it be orcl.hr?)

Sys as sysdba didn't work either. Same error message.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Latest version of Oracle 11g from the oracle download site. Oracle seems to work fine: Enterprise Mgr and sqlplus both work. Used a tutorial and got python talking to Oracle. And was also able to connect to the db from C#.
                • 5. Re: ODAC 11.2 ReIease 3 and 64 bit Oracle 11g
                  Ah. I did neither the EZCONNECT nor the TNSNAMES setup. Trying EZCONNECT now.
                  • 6. Re: ODAC 11.2 ReIease 3 and 64 bit Oracle 11g
                    sqlnet.ora does exist in the correct location. It contains:

# sqlnet.ora Network Configuration File: d:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\netwo
                    rk\admin\sqlnet.ora
                    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

# This file is actually generated by netca. But if customers choose to
                    # install "Software Only", this file wont exist and without the native
                    # authentication, they will not be able to connect to the database on NT.

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)

However reading the EZCONNECT documentation I see that I need to enter a valid machine name for Data Source Name and not ORCL as I was doing.

Try both the hostname value as well as 'localhost'.

Now the error message I get is:

ORA-12541: TNS: no listener.

I check lsnrctl services and as best I can tell an appropriate listener does exist:

LSNRCTL for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 03-JAN-2011 14:02
                    :05

Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1521)))
                    Services Summary...
                    Service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
                    Instance "CLRExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                    Handler(s):
                    "DEDICATED" established:0 refused:0
                    LOCAL SERVER
                    Service "orcl" has 1 instance(s).
                    Instance "orcl", status READY, has 2 handler(s) for this service...
                    Handler(s):
                    "DEDICATED" established:1212 refused:0 state:ready
                    LOCAL SERVER
                    "N000" established:0 refused:0 current:0 max:40000 state:ready
                    CMON <machine: MyHostname, pid: 5580>
                    (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=MyHostname)(PORT=49203))
                    Service "orclXDB" has 1 instance(s).
                    Instance "orcl", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                    Handler(s):
                    "D000" established:0 refused:0 current:0 max:1022 state:ready
                    DISPATCHER <machine: MyHostname, pid: 3080>
                    (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=MyHostname)(PORT=49160))
                    The command completed successfully
                    • 7. Re: ODAC 11.2 ReIease 3 and 64 bit Oracle 11g
                      For EZCONNECT, you need to use the service name of the DB as well. Take a look at EZCONNECT instructions as part of the ODAC install instructions:
                      http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/install112012-164342.html#setup

BTW, the sqlnet.ora file you should be concerned with is on the client side, not on the DB server side.

If you use TNSNAMES, make sure it is configured correctly on the client side. The
                      • 8. Re: ODAC 11.2 ReIease 3 and 64 bit Oracle 11g
                        I first tried //'MyHostname'/ORCL and it didn't work.

This did work: //localhost/ORCL

Wonder why the one didn't work but then the next did? Anyway my first question is answered and will mark the thread as such.

thanx - pat
                        • 9. Re: ODAC 11.2 ReIease 3 and 64 bit Oracle 11g
                          Try the IP address, rather than the hostname, just to eliminate that it could be a DNS issue with resolving the hostname.
                          • 10. Oracle 10.2.0.4.0 - unable to create activex object "OracleInProcServer"
                            Hi

we are trying to run windows Application in Windows server 2008 Standard R2 in 64 Bit. Oracle 10g 64 bit Client is also installed.

We are getting the Error Activex object cant create in the following line
                            obj = CreateObject("OracleInProcServer.XOraSession")

Anyhelp would be highly appreciated..

Edited by: 840328 on Feb 28, 2011 6:26 AM
                            • 11. Oracle 10.2.0.4.0 - unable to create activex object "OracleInProcServer"
                              Hi

we are trying to run windows Application in Windows server 2008 Standard R2 in 64 Bit. Oracle 10g 64 bit Client is also installed.

We are getting the Error Activex object cant create in the following line
                              obj = CreateObject("OracleInProcServer.XOraSession")

Anyhelp would be highly appreciated..

Edited by: 840328 on Feb 28, 2011 6:25 AM
                              • 12. Re: ODAC 11.2 ReIease 3 and 64 bit Oracle 11g
                                Jenny -Oracle
                                Hi,

You should have created a new thread for this question. In regards to the issue you posted, It seems you are using a product called Oracle Objects for OLE which is not ported to 64-bit and the 32-bit version is also not support on x64. That product is 32-bit only.

HTH
                                Jenny B.
                                • 13. Re: ODAC 11.2 ReIease 3 and 64 bit Oracle 11g
                                  Thanks for your reply..

Is there any alternative with out changing much Code in the Application. alternative Oracle objects in 64 bit.

please let me know any other solution in 64 bit
                                  • 14. Re: ODAC 11.2 ReIease 3 and 64 bit Oracle 11g
                                    Hi,

I have 64-bit as well and would really appreciate an alternative solution to changing all the code.

Thanks,
                                    Ngockieg

Edited by: 840513 on Feb 28, 2011 9:40 PM
                                    1 2 Previous Next