2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2011 3:01 AM by abrante RSS

Kernel Patches.

My current version of solaris is from /etc/version file
      Solaris 10 5/08 s10s_u5wos_10 SPARC

Uname -a output is
      Generic_137111-05 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V245

I am planning for upgradation of my kernel patch version to latest. I have few queries as Oracle 10g database resides on my server. Would be there any impact
      on it with some websphere applications.

After installation of kernel patch will my Generic_ version will be upgraded.

Please help me out...

Thanking in anticipation........
        • 1. Re: Kernel Patches.
          gleng
          Installing kernel patches will change uname -a output.

Depending on the Oracle DB software installed there are extra recommended steps to run/do after patching Solaris. Sorry, I'm not a DBA and do not have those details.

have a good day,
          GlenG
          • 2. Re: Kernel Patches.
            abrante
            Also, given that kernel patching should be done in a single-user mode, that means that you have to take down your applications to do your patching (unless you do a live upgrade, in which case you "only" have to reboot), which also will affect your applications.

Since the generic_XXXXX output in your uname -a reflects the current level of the kernel patch, it will, just like gleng pointed out, be changed after installing (and rebooting to) the newer kernel patch. This should not affect your applications, but there are no guarantees that it won't.

This is why live upgrade is so useful, if your application for some reason responds negatively after patching the system, you can easily revert to the previous patch level..

.7/M.