8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2011 3:43 AM by alinzenb RSS

The website can not be displayed Forms 10.1.2.3 / IE8 / Windows 7

alinzenb
      Hi,

first the problem description:

I run a Forms-web application from a shortcut on the desktop.
      For example:
      "C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Internet Explorer \ iexplore.exe" "http://k1r.bf.ia:7778/forms/frmservlet?config=sdb_Java"

The resolution is a DNS server. Even if I use the IP Address, I have the same problem:

In IE appears
      *"The website can not be displayed"*

when I press F5 it runs all and the page is displayed. why ???????

Forms 10.1.2.3
      Client Windows 7 32Bit
      IE 8.0.7600
      Java 1.6.0_23

Formsweb.cfg:
      basehtml          = d:/orabase/oas/forms/webutil/server/webutiljpi.htm
      jpi_classid          = clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93
      jpi_mimetype     = application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6

Since it works fine with Firefox 3.6.13,

someone can help me ?

Alfred
        • 1. Re: The website can not be displayed Forms 10.1.2.3 / IE8 / Windows 7
          CraigB
          Alfred,
          Why not just make your desktop shortcut a direct reference to your URL "http://k1r.bf.ia:7778/forms/frmservlet?config=sdb_Java" rather than open IE and pass the URL to IE? This will open the URL in the default browser. Have you changed the default browser to Firefox?

Craig B-)

If someone's response is helpful or correct, please mark it accordingly.
          • 2. Re: The website can not be displayed Forms 10.1.2.3 / IE8 / Windows 7
            Andreas Leidner
            We've also experienced this with IE8 and it seems to be an IE8 bug. In our application the symptom appears when we run any URL via ShellExecute (through the WebUtil C API), e.g. to show a reports preview (PDF) in a new browser window. A new IE process gets started and it shows the error message you described - when the user refreshes the IE window the page is loaded successfully (also, in this case the issue can be reproduced with any URL, so it's really IE8 specific, nothing to do with Forms or Java applets).
            As a workaround we changed this to open a new browser window via Javascript to show the URL instead of starting a new browser process. Though that doesn't help you with your issue when starting the application :(
            • 3. Re: The website can not be displayed Forms 10.1.2.3 / IE8 / Windows 7
              alinzenb
              Hi Andreas,

we have an Java-AWT Component with some Buttons.
              There we are calling ex: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" "http://k1r.bf.ia:7778/forms/frmservlet?config=sdb_Java"

lCommand = C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
              url = http://k1r.bf.ia:7778/forms/frmservlet?config=sdb_Java
              iexplorerProcess = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(lCommand + url);

To simplify the test I have marked an shortcut because the error is the same.

CraigB>
              When I make an Internetshortcut on the desktop it works. You're right
              Like this:
              [InternetShortcut]
              URL=http://k1rrzsh008.kivbf.intra:7778/forms/frmservlet?config=sbg_Java&debug=no&clientDPI=90&width=1017&height=630
              IDList=

That is different to my test.

How can I call an URL like the Internetshortcut from Java ?
              • 4. Re: The website can not be displayed Forms 10.1.2.3 / IE8 / Windows 7
                CraigB
                How can I call an URL like the Internetshortcut from Java ?
                What do you mean "from Java"? Are you using Javascript in an HTML page or Java from a Java application?

Craig...
                • 5. Re: The website can not be displayed Forms 10.1.2.3 / IE8 / Windows 7
                  alinzenb
                  It is a small AWTapplication with some buttons
                  • 6. Re: The website can not be displayed Forms 10.1.2.3 / IE8 / Windows 7
                    Andreas Leidner
                    I looked at our code and this is what we do to show any URL (like a Reports PDF or another website) in a new browser window from Forms.

We've implemented a pluggable Java component which is called from Forms via set_custom_item_property to show a given URL in a new browser window.
                    set_custom_item_property('TEST.BROWSERBEAN', 'SHOW_URL', l_url);

In the pluggable Java component the code invoked when setting that property first tests the Java runtime version:

a. if it's 1.6.0_23 or higher then it simply calls Applet.getAppletContext().showDocument(<url>, "_blank");
                    Java 1.6.0_23 fixes bug 6946479 by opening the browser window in the same iexplore.exe process via an IE add on API. This reestablishes the implementation behaviour as it's been with Java 1.6.0_17 and below, i.e. the bug exists in 1.6.0_18-1.6.0_22.
                    The side effect of this bug fix is that by calling showDocument() (or the Forms API show_document) the problem with IE being unable to correctly load a site during the startup of the browser gets circumvented since there is no new browser process.

Thus - if it's an option for you - just use Java 1.6.0_23 on the clients.

For a description of the bug look e.g. at the following site. The description is E-Business Suite specific but it's a Java plugin bug:
                    http://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/2010/12/mismanaged_session_cookie_issue_fixed_ebs.html
                    Bug in the Sun Java bug database:
                    http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6946479

b. if the Forms applet runs on Java 1.6.0_22 or below our PJC implementation uses Java-to-Javascript communication to run a Javascript function to open the URL in a new window in the same browser process, e.g.:
                                        JSObject jsWindow = JSObject.getWindow(this.applet);
                                        jsWindow.eval("window.open('" + urlToShow + "', '_blank');");

I hope this helps.

Regards,
                    Andreas

Edited by: Andreas Leidner on Jan 11, 2011 5:25 PM
                    • 7. Re: The website can not be displayed Forms 10.1.2.3 / IE8 / Windows 7
                      CraigB
                      If you want to open a URL and read the URL within Java, take a look at: The Java Tutorials - Connecting to a URL

If you want to open a URL in a browser from Java, take a look at: eHow.com - How to Open a URL in Java.

I haven't tried any of these solutions - I simply Googled them.

Hope this helps,
                      Craig B-)

If someone's response is helpful or correct, please mark it accordingly.
                      • 8. Re: The website can not be displayed Forms 10.1.2.3 / IE8 / Windows 7
                        alinzenb
                        Andreas>
                        thanks for the detailed reply. The details are certainly useful elsewhere.

Craig>
                        I think this is the right approach

thx Alfred