1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 11, 2011 9:19 AM by SteveS RSS

Patching Solaris

I have little confusion in Solaris Patching

What is kernel patch, after updating the kernel patch do we need to install any recommneded patch cluster.

My current version of solaris is Generic_137111-08. After installation of Solaris 10 update 9 will the kernel patch level will be to latest.

Can you please let me know which is the latest patch update version of solaris10 ??.
        • 1. Re: Patching Solaris
          SteveS
          What is kernel patch
          The Kernel patch is a patch which delivers all the libraries and binaries required for the Kernel itself. Typically however there are required dependencies on other patches so make sure you have all the required patches installed before you install the Kernel patch. patchadd will bail out if the requirements aren't met. If you look at the README for any of our patches you'll see sub-headings that you need to pay special attention to:

Patches which conflict with this patch:
          Required Patches:

The Recommended Patch Cluster takes care of all the dependencies. The Recommended Patch Cluster contains all the old and latest patches plus a patch_order file which installs the patches in the order they need to be installed to take care of the dependency tree. You can add patches manually but the KJP saves you a lot of time.

In Solaris 11 we've moved away from patches and the OS is updated using the latest packages available in the repository, similar to the way Linux updates it's OS.
          after updating the kernel patch do we need to install any recommneded patch cluster.
          The short answer is Yes. Upgrading the OS may not get you to the latest patches. Updates are released at low frequency intervals (typically months between them), where as patches are being released almost on a daily basis.
          My current version of solaris is Generic_137111-08. After installation of Solaris 10 update 9 will the kernel patch level will be to latest.
          137111-08 was the interim Kernel revision delivered after Solaris 10 update 5, but before update 6 (SPARC). The latest update is, as you say, Solaris 10 update 9 which came with 142909-17. The latest kernel revision is the S10u10 feature patch 144488-06. Note that this is production ready but not Update 10 itself. Update 10 will have yet another patch number once it's released later this year. 144488-06 is a feature patch which delivers everything S10u9 did plus all the latest fixes.
          Can you please let me know which is the latest patch update version of solaris10 ??.
          At the time of writing, 144488-06 is the latest Kernel patch for Solaris 10 SPARC.

To find the latest Recommended Patch Cluster go to the Patches and Updates Tab, then:

1) Select "Product of Family (Advanced Search)
          2) *Product is*: Solaris Operating System
          3) -and- *Release is*: Solaris 10 Operating System (or the OS version you require)
          4) -and- *Type is*: Patchset
          5) Click the + symbol to add a new filter
          6) -and- *Platform is*: Oracle Solaris on SPARC (64bit)
          7) Click the + symbol to add a new filter
          8) -and- *Description contains*: "Recommended Patch Cluster"

That method can be used to search for the x64/x86 release as well.
          It can also be used to search for the latest Kernel patch. Change "Type is: Patchset" to "Type is: Patch" and "Description contains: Recommended Patch Cluster" to "Description contains: kernel patch", then sort the results by date, the top hit should be the latest kernel patch.