Dear All,
      My Enviroment is as follows;
      OMS Running On Linux
      Grid Control OMS: Database 11.1.0.7.0
      Grid Agent Version: 11.1.0.1.0

Database to be Monitored
      Database Version: 10.2.0.1.0
      Grid Control Agent: Version 11g

I have tried but in vain to connect the windows database to the Linux OMS. Can someone please guide me where I can get a step by step instructions on how I can connect this database to the OMS?
      The reason I'm doing this is because I will be connecting Other databases running on AIX to the grid. If I can get the instructions, I will bvery much appreciate.

Thank you.

Eric.
        • 1. Re: Connect Grid Control Agent 11g on Windows to OMS On Linux
          vivalavida
          Hi,

I'm sure that you have tried hard to get the database into your OMS - but what is the problem in detail? The agent is the responsible part that
          communicates with the OMS. Does the agent have any problems or aren't you not able to configure your database in the OMS due to any errors?

You should try "emctl status agent" and check the logfiles under $AGENT_HOME/sysman/logs

We need further informations to help you with your issue...

Edited by: VivaLaVida on 12.01.2011 15:58

Edited by: VivaLaVida on 12.01.2011 15:59
          • 2. Re: Connect Grid Control Agent 11g on Windows to OMS On Linux
            Hi VivaLaVida
            Thank you for your response. my problem is that I cannot add the windows node into the oms which is on linux. when i check the status of the agent in linux, I see that it is running fine and when I check the error logs, there is no error. However, when I check the agent status on the windows machine, it shows that it has not comminicated with the oms at all.
            my problem is im not able to add the windows node onto the oms even after installing the agent on the windows machine.
            • 3. Re: Connect Grid Control Agent 11g on Windows to OMS On Linux
              Hi VivaLaVida
              Thank you for your response. my problem is that I cannot add the windows node into the oms which is on linux. when i check the status of the agent in linux, I see that it is running fine and when I check the error logs, there is no error. However, when I check the agent status on the windows machine, it shows that it has not comminicated with the oms at all.
              my problem is im not able to add the windows node onto the oms even after installing the agent on the windows machine.
              • 4. Re: Connect Grid Control Agent 11g on Windows to OMS On Linux
                Rob Zoeteweij
                Eric, you say you don't see any errors.
                What happens when doing : emctl upload agent ?

Are you able to ping from your windows machine to the OMS and vv ?

How did you di the installation of the Agent on the Windows server?

Regards
                Rob
                http://oemgc.wordpress.com
                • 5. Re: Connect Grid Control Agent 11g on Windows to OMS On Linux
                  vivalavida
                  Hi Eric,
                  just to clarify:

the agent on the windows node must be up and running. That is an important condition to add the database on windows to the OMS on linux.
                  Could you please check the agent on the windows node with "emctl status agent" and paste us the result? And you should check the logfiles of
                  the agent on the windows node for errors.

The agent on the linux node (the OMS is installed on that node) monitors all targets on the linux node - but not on the windows node. Once again,
                  the agent on the windows node must be up and running. If we get that issue fixed then I'm pretty sure that you can add the database (windows)
                  to your OMS (linux).

But we need further info's to get a better feeling for your situation...
                  • 6. Re: Connect Grid Control Agent 11g on Windows to OMS On Linux
                    Thank you all for replaying.
                    When I run emctl agent status on the Windows Node, i get the following output;

D:\Ora11gAgent\agent10g\BIN>emctl status agent
                    Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Release 10.2.0.2.0.
                    Copyright (c) 1996, 2006 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------
                    Agent Version : 10.2.0.2.0
                    OMS Version : 10.2.0.2.0
                    Protocol Version : 10.2.0.2.0
                    Agent Home : D:\Ora11gAgent\agent10g
                    Agent binaries : D:\Ora11gAgent\agent10g
                    Agent Process ID : 5768
                    Agent URL : https://custapp1.ebsafrica.com:3872/emd/main/
                    Repository URL : https://veracious:4900/em/upload
                    Started at : 2011-01-07 17:58:14
                    Started by user : SYSTEM
                    Last Reload : 2011-01-07 17:58:14
                    Last successful upload : (none)
                    Last attempted upload : (none)
                    Total Megabytes of XML files uploaded so far : 0.00
                    Number of XML files pending upload : 289
                    Size of XML files pending upload(MB) : 50.01
                    Available disk space on upload filesystem : 25.70%
                    Collection Status : Disabled by Upload Manager
                    Last attempted heartbeat to OMS : 2011-01-13 09:43:31
                    Last successful heartbeat to OMS : unknown
                    Agent is Running and Ready

When I Check the logs on the Windows Node, I get the following lines

372 :: Thu Jan 13 09:44:01 2011::AgentStatus.pm:Processing status agent
                    372 :: Thu Jan 13 09:44:02 2011::AgentStatus.pm:emdctl status returned 3
                    1948 :: Thu Jan 13 09:44:48 2011::AgentLifeCycle.pm: Processing upload agent
                    1948 :: Thu Jan 13 09:44:48 2011::AgentStatus.pm:Processing upload agent
                    1948 :: Thu Jan 13 09:44:49 2011::AgentStatus.pm:emdctl status agent returned 3

I have checked the Agent Service running on the windows Machine and it is up and running. I have checked the agent Service on my Linux box and It is also running as seen below

[dbmgr@veracious bin]$ ./emctl status agent
                    Oracle Enterprise Manager 11g Release 1 Grid Control 11.1.0.1.0
                    Copyright (c) 1996, 2010 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
                    Agent Version : 11.1.0.1.0
                    OMS Version : 11.1.0.1.0
                    Protocol Version : 11.1.0.0.0
                    Agent Home : /u06/grid/weblogic/Middleware/agent11g
                    Agent binaries : /u06/grid/weblogic/Middleware/agent11g
                    Agent Process ID : 3775
                    Parent Process ID : 3753
                    Agent URL : https://veracious:3872/emd/main/
                    Repository URL : https://veracious:4900/em/upload
                    Started at : 2011-01-07 15:39:00
                    Started by user : dbmgr
                    Last Reload : 2011-01-12 11:39:43
                    Last successful upload : 2011-01-13 09:21:17
                    Total Megabytes of XML files uploaded so far : 673.04
                    Number of XML files pending upload : 0
                    Size of XML files pending upload(MB) : 0.00
                    Available disk space on upload filesystem : 61.15%
                    Last successful heartbeat to OMS : 2011-01-13 09:23:54
                    Agent is Running and Ready

Where could the problem be?

Thank you.

Eric.

Edited by: Eric S. on Jan 13, 2011 9:55 AM
                    • 7. Re: Connect Grid Control Agent 11g on Windows to OMS On Linux
                      vivalavida
                      OK, as Rob already mentioned before:

- execute "emctl upload agent" on the windows node.

When looking to the output of the command "emctl status agent" on the windows node you pasted this:

Last successful upload : (none)
                      Last attempted upload : (none)

That means, that the agent has not uploaded any information to the OMS so far. Furthermore, the output

Collection Status : Disabled by Upload Manager
                      Last attempted heartbeat to OMS : 2011-01-13 09:43:31
                      Last successful heartbeat to OMS : unknown

means, that the agent is not able to "contact" or communicate with the OMS! Now we need to figure out why this is not working...

If you execute the command "emctl upload agent" please check the output and the logfiles emagent.trc, emctl.log
                      and emagent_perl.trc...
                      • 8. Re: Connect Grid Control Agent 11g on Windows to OMS On Linux
                        I have run the command and below are the statuses of the three files

emctl.log

D:\Ora11gAgent\agent10g\BIN>emctl upload agent
                        Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Release 10.2.0.2.0.
                        Copyright (c) 1996, 2006 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
                        EMD upload error: uploadXMLFiles skipped :: OMS version not checked yet..

emagent.trc file
                        2011-01-13 10:58:31 Thread-5356 ERROR http: snmehl_connect: Failed to get address for veracious: Unknown Error String (error = 0)
                        2011-01-13 10:58:31 Thread-5356 ERROR pingManager: nmepm_pingReposURL: Cannot connect to https://veracious:4900/em/upload: retStatus=-1

emagent_perl.trc

oracledb.pl: Fri Jan 7 08:13:19 2011: ERROR: initParameterFileUtl::convertSPFileToPFile: Failed to convert spfile D:\OraDb10g\10.2.0/dbs/spfileagiles.ora to pfile using sqlplus: Invalid argument 0 The output of sqlplus is "
                        SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Fri Jan 7 08:13:18 2011

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

ERROR:
                        ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
                        • 9. Re: Connect Grid Control Agent 11g on Windows to OMS On Linux
                          vivalavida
                          Seems like if you have some major problems with your agent...

Could you please execute the command "emctl secure agent" and paste us the output?
                          • 10. Re: Connect Grid Control Agent 11g on Windows to OMS On Linux
                            I execute the command on the OMS (Linux) or the windows (DB that I want to add to the OMS)?
                            • 11. Re: Connect Grid Control Agent 11g on Windows to OMS On Linux
                              vivalavida
                              execute it just on the windows node - since the agent on the windows node has the problems.
                              If you check the trace-files of the agent (emagent.trc, emagent_perl.trc) please provide a couple more lines areound the errors...

Furthermore you should open the file (windows-node) $AGENT_HOME/sysman/config/emd.properties and look for the line beginning with

REPOSITORY_URL=...

Does the URL match the URL https://veracious:4900/em/upload?

Please execute the command "ping veracious" on the windows node and paste the output...
                              • 12. Re: Connect Grid Control Agent 11g on Windows to OMS On Linux
                                Hi VivaLaVida,
                                I followed the steps you suggested. I executed "emctl secure agent" on the Windows Machine. I tried to ping veracious but there was no replay so I added the veracious entry onto the c:\windows\system23\drivers\etc\host file of the windows machine with its IP address because when I ping IP address, I get a replay but when I ping the node name (veracious) I get no response. After adding the entry onto this file, now when I ping the veracious name, I get a response.
                                I then checked the agent status and it showed that it has actually communicated with the OMS. When I checked the OMS, the DB on the Windows is on the list. This is very good. So My problem is resolved now.
                                I want to know several things though;
                                1. What is the purpose of "emctl secure agent" command? Will I have to run it on all the nodes I want to monitor?
                                2. How often does the agent communicate with the OMS? Is is a parameter I need to set somewhere?

Otherwise I thank you very much. I will share this knowledge with Others. Thank you.
                                • 13. Re: Connect Grid Control Agent 11g on Windows to OMS On Linux
                                  Rob Zoeteweij
                                  Eric,

the purpose of emctl secure agent is to force the Agent to communicate with the OMS using HTTPS instead of HTTP, making the communication secure.

There is frequent communication between Agent and OMS, uploading of files, Agent ping from the OMS to see if the Agent is still alive, etc.

Regards
                                  Rob
                                  • 14. Re: Connect Grid Control Agent 11g on Windows to OMS On Linux
                                    vivalavida
                                    Hi Eric,
                                    I'm glad that my suggestions could help you to solve your issue - and I really would appreciate if you would mark my answers as helpful :-)

Regarding your further questions:

1.) ecmtl secure agent:
                                    Obtains an Oracle Wallet from the Management Service that contains a unique digital certificate for the Management Agent. This certificate is
                                    required in order for the Management Agent to conduct SSL communication with the secure Management Service.

Obtains an Agent Key for the Management Agent that is registered with the Management Service.

Configures the Management Agent so it is available on your network over HTTPS and so it uses the Management Service HTTPS upload URL for all
                                    its communication with the Management Service.

2.) I'm honest: I currently don't know the answer :-)

Oracle provides a really good documentation about the OMS and AGENT. You will find it under the URL:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11857_01/nav/overview.htm

Rgds
                                    JH
                                    1 2 Previous Next